Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Love my new warwick but ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rbud2003, Mar 13, 2003.

1. rbud2003

rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    I've recently got back into playing bass after being away from it for 8 years. During that time I picked up a Fender American Jazz but then stopped shortly after buying it.

When I started playing again, I wanted to try something new and went to Guitar Center and played and bought a Warwick Corvette Standard. Before this I had never heard of Warwick. Since then, I have found this site (awesome!) and others where I have read opinions for and against Warwicks.

Here's the problem, I love the sound of the Warwick but it just isn't comfortable to play as my Jazz. I have about a week left before I can take it back to GC for a refund.

Am I crazy? Is there something that could give me the sound of the warwick but not as heavy? Should I stick with the Jazz? The style I'm into now is Blues, Classic Rock, some more modern Rock.

I know opinions vary but I'd like to here from others in this forum.

2. Hmm...you could try to see if they have a Corvette Proline...

Barring that, I think a Corvette Standard's tone is gonna be difficult to duplicate on any other bass without extremely heavy EQing, due to the distinct resonances of the exotic woods used in its construction.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    un/fortunately, there isn't much that sounds like a warwick but a warwick.

maybe put some EMG's in your jazz to add some of the warwick extra-crispy flavor to it? but you definitely shouldn't keep a bass you're not totally happy with.

as for lighter warwicks, the new set neck warwicks are chambered, but those will most likely be out of your price range.

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Nothing sounds like a warwick, but warwick. almost like a rick, no one can emu that sound. Sit down to play?

5. Keep the Fender.

6. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Custom Warmoth Jazz bass. Wenge neck, mahogany body and EMG pickups and electronics.

That's as close as you're gonna get!

7. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    I had Warwick Corvette Proline at the time. Now I have Fender Jazz Deluxe MIM. Warwick has beter construction, but Fender has the TONE. Problem with my Corvette was pickup humming in any EQ setting (it would hum less if I rolled treble off; problem was in MEC p/ups).

For style you're playing, I would say that Fender beats Warwick Corvette big time. I don't say that all Warwick's are bad (I played Streamer with P/J conf. and I liked it a lot) but Corvette just doesn't cut in every style. I had it for about 2 weeks, and then I returned it. I wouldn't look at low-end Warwicks If I was you just because you pay for the name and not sound.

8. I have one too. The best thing you can do to combat the weight is to get an extra wide heavely padded strap, I have on that my friend made for me that is 4" wide at the shoulder with a ton of that yellow curly padding stuff attached to it, it makes it feel like half the weight to me.
    Just a suggestion.....and I hate Fender's.

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Throw a set of hot Seymour Duncan pickups in your Jazz and call it good!

I like warwicks (had 3 myself). They have their good points and bad, but if it's uncomfortable to play, then you shouldn't have to live with being dissatisfied.
    The Corvette Standard is a heavy bass. Have you tried the Corvette Proline? It's very light, about 2/3 the weight of a Standard model.

10. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Try a Comfort Strapp.

11. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I'd say corvette proline mmmtasty, but the sound will be different than your standard. I find my proline very comfortable to play though.

12. I've never played a Warwick.But I've played alot of Fender's.Hard to say.. I've heard alot of good things about Warwicks but from what I've heard.. It would probably be better to stick with the Fender for the style of music your doing.. Not being comfortable when playing your bass is a big thing though... I'd try and compromise and get the best sound you can with a body that isn't too heavy for you... And as other's have said get a good strap...:bassist:

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually, the Corvette Standard's body is bubinga, not mahogany, so I'd recommend that wood for proper tonal matching. Of course, the weight issue is a whole 'nother thing...bubinga ain't light! :eek:

My Zon Sonus Special has a bubinga top over ash, and gets a very "Warwick Thumb-y" tone, you might have luck with a Jazz body with that combination, it would certainly be much lighter than a solid bubinga body.

14. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Personally, if I were you, I would either bring that bass back and get an MIA deluxe jazz or if you really like the warwick sound...get a more comfortable playing Warwick.

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the warmoth option is a good one. but a wenge necked, wenge boarded, solid bubinga bodied jazz bass would probably weigh MORE than the warwick :)

also, i think the BALANCE of the bass is more important than the weight. basses like the fortress, streamer, and dolphin have no neckdive and therefore seem lighter.