1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Love my Phil Jones Double Four, but...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kohanmike, Feb 3, 2016.

1. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I've been using a Phil Jones Double Four 70 watt amp for rehearsals with a 40-50 person ukulele group in a large room, with the leader on a new Fishman 120 watt amp for her vocals and uke. It's been fine in that situation, and I thought it would work for a larger room with about 150 people in the audience and our leader going through a Bose single tower PA, but today proved me wrong. The PJD4 did not quite make it.

So now I'll be sure to use my new Carvin MB15 200 watt with 15" neo 400 watt speaker, and when needed, the matching 115MBE extension box that brings the amp to 250 watts, both I bought myself for Hanukkah last year when I found my Crate or PJD4 amps would not cut it for large outdoor gigs. Did think the PJ would work today, but as good as it is, and as much I like it, I've learned my lesson and will only use it for rehearsal and really small gigs.

Carvin rig and me.

pcake and lomo like this.
  2. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Did you seriously think that two 4" speakers would really cut it for a gig? I've got a Bass Cub with two 5's and 100 watts and it's really only good for rehearsal and small living room jams.

Now, the Carvin 15's on the other hand are serious overachievers. They have even worked for me on outdoor gigs. They are amazing for their size, weight, and price.

3. kohanmike

I know, I know, but I did think it could work like with our rehearsals. No big deal, especially since I have the Carvin, but I would only use the amp cabinet and save the extension cabinet for even bigger gigs.

4. jaysbassspace

jaysbassspace Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Hoboken, NJ
    If you are interested in selling the double four please let me know.

5. kohanmike

No, no, no! That little amp is great, used in the proper context, which I didn't do in this case. The PJD4 is perfect for rehearsals and small room gigs, and even as a monitor with the Carvin MB15.

6. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Gotta have the right tools for the right gig...

I've taken my Phil Jones C4 with a 500 watt head to almost half my gigs... more time than less I get asked to turn down!

Emanuel Apascaritei likes this.
  7. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I use the Double Four with big bands and gig with it - no issues.

8. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    One key thing about the Double Four is that Phil Jones recommends placing it against the wall to get the most out of it.

9. kohanmike

I've been using my PJD4 rehearsing with a 35 person uke group, the leader on an amp in a big 30 x 50 multipurpose room in the Vet Center and they also have to ask me to turn it down at times. I find the amp is good for more than I expected, but not outdoors unless it's a very small immediate crowd.