1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LOVE MY SVT VR, BUT IT'S JUST TOO DAMN HEAVY

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by benjaminmichael, Mar 20, 2010.

1. I currently run an Ampeg SVT VR and a 410hlf to go with it. I love the tone, but hate carting so much gear around and find that my volume is never pushing past a quarter-half on stage anyhow.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a smaller more efficient rig that would still deliver some serious output and not break my back.

I have heard good things about the Markbass gear but I am a little worried after playing with 300 watt tube that its going to be a little reserved, although I caught a band on the weekend playing markbass through a 2x10 and he said he has never experienced a stage that he needs a bigger amp on.

thanks in advance

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    In my opinion :::: For me the sVT4-pro is the best all around ampeg head.The 410 hlf is the best Ampeg cab. Any smaller you won't have headroom to turn it up. The sVT-4Pro seems dependable(so far) , some of the other Ampegs have issues(esp. the svT2-Pro) . :cool:

3. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
  4. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I have an SVT CL that sounds great but some of the smaller gigs don't warrant moving it.
    Also have a SVP CL preamp / power rig that sounds very good and similar to the real deal.

Thanks to this board, I tried an LMII and am very happy; it doesn't sound just like an SVT but it does offer a similar overall feel in tone and touch sensitivity with a small amount of outbaord compression. Works for me; might be worth a try for you.

5. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    its not that bad IMO...i keep mine in a road case and roll it...only lift it when i have to and other wise it rolls very nicely, why dont your band mates help ya!?!? i couldnt count how many times i have lugged around a drummers heavy ass hardware bag!!!

6. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    The ultimate dilema. THE sound PLUS the weight... or not. A VT pedal plus many amps will get you in the ballpark without the weight, might be good enough for ya, might not.

7. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Just bought a Warwick Rockcase trolley - just a flat board about the base size of my VR with large rubber wheels. Makes moving it a breeze - I should have done this years ago. Stick with the VR, I also have a Markbass plus VT pedal which is convenient and I also take it to gigs as my backup but it is not the same as the real thing.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    vt pedal is my choice for copping ampeg tones in a small rig. but even though i probably play with less volume than you, i still bring my svt on most of my gigs because i miss the hefty weighty feeling of playing through one. makes a huge difference in my enjoyment level. loading it in and out takes a couple minutes each way. some of my gigs can last hours.

cubanbass likes this.
  9. Thankful birds

Thankful birds

Jun 17, 2008
    Phoenix
    I own one of these-

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-Groove-210C-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=480764 and love it.

It's a Kustom Groove 210c. 600 watts through two eminence speakers in a deep ported cab for extra lows. Very close to the SVT sound. They don't make them anymore, and prices are all over the place. I have seen then sell for $1200 used and $400 used. Just depends.

The pros- great sound, lots of power and it's compact. I have used its stage volume for lots of gigs and never been overpowered. I'm not sure I've taken it much past four or five. It's a beast. Plus, it has a lot of bells and whistles for dialing in a good tone. Also, it stands upright so it doubles very well as a monitor. The cons, it's still very heavy and the deep cab can be a little unwieldy. Plus, while the lows are great on a four, I don't know how it would do with a five if that's your thing.

If you can find one at a good price, I highly recommend them. On occassion I see online music stores blowing them out since they're discontinued. Just my .02

10. I hear great stuff about Eden heads. I heard the travellers make for a nice, mobile rig.

11. TIMD

TIMD

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston
    I love the sound of my SVT CL with my Ampeg 410 and 15 but lifting 2 100 lb cabs and a 100 lb head got old. To make it worse I practice on the 3rd floor of a building with no elivator. I decided to get a smaller cab for smaller gigs and save the bigger Ampeg rig for larger venues or outdoor shows. I picked up a Genz Benz Neo 212 and couldn't be happier with it. It is 4 ohms so it is perfect for an SVT and it leaves me with only 1 heavy trip up and down the stairs. Plus you can find used cabs for pretty cheap.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    as much as i like to tell people to man up, no way in hell i'd drag even the svt head up 2 flights of stairs!

13. How about the SVT Micro VR? :)
    It sounds sooo good. It's true what they say, that it sounds like an SVT but smaller

14. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Hey Jimmy,
    Given the these choices would you:
    Take an SVT head with a 1x15 cabinet
    or
    LMII head with an 8x10 cabinet
    Suppose the VT pedal could be the variable
    Looking for your take on the cabinet being as much (or more when paired with a good head) a part of the sound of the whole rig

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i'd take the lmii/810. now if there were two 115's, that'd be a different story. might be more of a push in that case.

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I lugged around a SVT / a classic 6x10 cab for years.
    Great tone, bad on my back.
    Looking for a mini-rig, and then Ampeg comes put with the new "Heritage" SVT. (USA)
    Maybe the Heritage Head and a matching 4x10 will do?
    Oh the pain.:bawl:

17. Dan S

Dan S

Mar 3, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I loved my SVT 4 but it was too heavy, so I switched to the new SVT 7.... which I STILL haven't had the chance to play at a gig! :bawl:

18. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd get one of those 200w GK 115 combos and a VT pedal and try that out :)

19. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I'm adding a second 1-12 to this. For what I play, I can't see ever needing more volume but ymmv. I may try a 2-10 just for a different attack/tone but even with the single 12 it shakes my whole apartment bldg.

9lb head
    31lb cab

newbass1.jpg

20. I really like the look of the RH450, but I'm afraid it will come up a little short volume wise for a regular giging rig.

Im looking at the markbass LM800 through a light 4x10 and wondering if I will then be moving enough air for most gigs? anyone have any experience?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020