Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Love...not a "manly" topic? Double-yoo tee eff?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Ok, so I bought The Darkness' album a little while ago.
    Just a few minutes ago, "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" came up on my MP3 player, and the following conversation ensues:

Bro: So these guys are called "The Darkness?"
    me: Yep.
    Bro: And are all their songs about love?
    me: Uuuh...
    Bro: Yeah? No? Don't know? Not sure?
    me: I don't think so, I don't know. I never really paid attention to the lyrics in all of the songs.
    Bro: Ah. Hmm. That's too bad. Manly name, not a manly topic.

I mean...OMGWTFBBQ
    Since when was "love" a negative thing? In my opinion, it takes the biggest kind of man to truly love someone, because it involves opening yourself up to another person, which leaves you oh-so-vulnerable. Honestly, sometimes I really don't understand my brother. I've tried to refrain from making multiple threads/posts about his complete idiocy on so many occasions, and I've done quite well, although this definitely takes the cake. Honestly, it makes me quite sad that my older brother, whos supposedly "more mature" than me, is still living in a 3rd grader's world where "love" is an evil thing that should be kept as far away as possible. :scowl:

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's OK - he has a promising future as a "Gangsta Rappa" !! ;)

3. he's really not going to like my songs about knitting :meh:

4. Justin's losing his hair - so hopefully by their third album - if they get that far - he'll be singing songs about wigs - sorry that was very poor...love is cool BTW!

5. tee hee!
    Thanks for that one, dhc. :D

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Dont you know that real men dont feel?

REAL men just shove these little twitches you call emotions deep deeeeep inside where no one can see the. They just keep pushing them down and they dissapear never to resurface in a crazy fit of madness that leads to mass murder.

Supress brother, supress like a man.

7. The Darkness are a Queen tribute band. Nothing more. Queen wrote lots of songs about "love". Not a manly name, not a manly topic either.

Black Sabbath's little known (or heard) B-side "I'd like a cup of tea now please mummy" doesn't have a very manly topic either.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh. i'm guessing he doesn't have much luck with the ladies. :hyper:

9. Bruce Lindfield

But surely Freddy was writing about :

"The love that dare not speak its name!!" :meh:

;)

10. Assuming we don't take his words entirely at face value, the vast majority of Darkness fans (around here anyways, according to my drummer who saw them a week ago) are teenage girls. Probably the same ones that would've fallen for the backstreet boys a few years ago as they sang about love? The topic is one normally reserved for teen pop songs as opposed to manly rock songs.

11. Bruce Lindfield

This is the usual, stereotypical dichotomy...

Rock bands sing about "lovin'" - but we know what they mean..... and so do their groupies!!! ;)

But usually there is a dichotomy as teenage girls are growing up and learning about "the facts of life" and want a "safe" object of affection - so, I'm amazed at how the teenage girls here, go in droves to Will Young concerts - you couldn't get any safer than that!! :D

12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Love not manly?

But how else can you describe the emotion we feel towards our totally awesome, restored Harley-Davisons...our tricked out Mazdas with the spoilers and 23-inch rims...our perfectly tweaked '67 GTOs with the turbochargers and the flames painted on the hood that make it look like its going really fast even when its not.

Obviously, the Darkness must be singing about cars!

PS: "The Darkness" is a manly name? Pffft, sounds like something out of the Neverending Story.

13. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't know about manly, but love is not very METAL. I personally hate listening to a song that kicks ass and then realize that it's nothing but a LOVE song.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm pretty sure Meat Hook Sodomy by Cannibal Corpse is about love. I don't know, I can't understand the guy.

15. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    See??! That's what I'm saying... why can't we just have a song that's actually about sodomy via meat hooks?

I fear for the children...

16. There are alot of songs about love written or performed by guys. The Darkness belives in a thing called love, Meatloaf will do anything for love, but he won't do that, Hoobastank has a reason to change who they used to be, and a reason to start over new, and the reason is you (love), AFI probably was meaning something when they wrote Silver and Cold. :D

So, in conclusion, your brother needs to shut up. I like The Darkess.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I find it strange, because most chicks melt over a good love song. If getting a chick all bubbly about you isn't manly, I don't know what is.

18. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    But not in that weird way. Most of their songs are about love or drugs it seems. I agree that love is their replacement word for #$%^ing. I love you guys. Good thing you can't give me a black eye through a computer monitor huh.

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My friends and I always liked to make it very clear when we said the word love.

To quote just about everyone in our group when we're good and plastered, "I love you in a non-pirson movie kinda way. Dude, seriously."

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I have a couple of buddies who get "lovey" in a drunken state. It's hilarious.