1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

love of Ampeg and other Scroll Basses, Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    After #016 comes home to CT and meets Bobo and ‘Peg, we’re going to have a serious discussion about sending the fretless out to CA for a secret underground lab makeover. She hasn’t been to CA since her appearance on “Gabe Kaplan presents: Future Stars” TV special with Stormin’ Norman & Suzy. Much rumination. Stay tuned...

Mastermold likes this.
  2. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    Bruce, I’m sorry you’re under the weather. Hope you feel better soon. There’s something making the rounds back East too. YUCK! Chicken soup for everyone!

Bruce Johnson likes this.
  3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Tell me about it, I'm on week 4 already. It just keeps hanging on....nasty little bug this one.

Bobo likes this.
  4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    A quick follow-up note about cases:

One of my customers, who owns AMB-2 #009, is about to head out on the road with it. He's a pro in the touring logistics business; he manages and moves tour equipment.

He just bought a Pelican V800 Double Rifle Case for his AMB-2. From the dimensions, it should fit in there just fine. This is a seriously tough case, better protection than a regular flight case. Waterproof, and not too large and heavy. Wheels on the bottom. Strong locking latches. Much better than anything I can buy or build.

I was amazed to see that this case is only $199. I remember from the past that Pelican cases were much more expensive than that. That's less than a G & G hard shell, and way less than a good flight case. And only a little more than the Reunion Blues case.

I'm thinking I should just buy these and offer them as the hard shell cases for my basses. Only a slight upcharge from the standard Reunion Blues soft case.

V800 Vault Double Rifle Case | Pelican

What do you guys think? The only downside I can see is that it looks like a rifle case. You'd need to keep an extra eye on it so it doesn't get stolen.

GKon, diegom and Bobo like this.
  5. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    If I were going back on the road I would likely opt for this case. Since 99% of my gigs result in my sleeping in my own bed after, I’d like to stay with the Reunion Blues for #016. I like having my scroll top close to me. Thanks for asking though. -Bobo

6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Are there handles on both ends? I see one on the end with the wheels, go figure. Looks pretty heavy duty and probably lighter than your typical road case, I'm guessing you have to do the cut out of the foam interior yourself.

Bobo likes this.
  7. J Gold

J Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    I always favor hard shell cases, especially on basses that cost quite a bit of my allowance. If you think they fit and are secure, I’m in. I live in Texas so a rifle case would probably earn me some points- even though I’m a liberal Yankee!

Ed Bloom, Bobo and diegom like this.
  8. Ed Bloom

Ed Bloom

Oct 24, 2017
    Yokota AB, Japan
    I'm partial to the G&G cases, but for practicality the Pelican case would certainly solve my issues with getting my #18 AMUB-2 from California or Texas back to Japan. Is there any way you can have the foam precut?

Bobo likes this.
  9. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    I am so excited to play #016. The way you describe the frets makes it sound like the neck on my ‘64 Precision. After I traded her for my AMUB-1 fretless, I tried other post-CBS Fenders and always found the necks and frets to be ‘clunky’. (is that a luthier’s term?) So, my fingers are itching and I remain patient and thankful and greatful to be in the queue. Cheers, Bobo

10. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    A629640C-CC4B-4AA6-BB61-493C49FE10D2. F5BDF168-ACCE-4501-8B7E-BB9C762A7866. Scroll top=Happy bass player

11. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    Scroll top in action: Jake & the Family Jewels reunion gig @ The Outer Space Ballroom in Hamden CT. Listen to that AMUB-1 sing!
    6978DD1E-1365-4915-A6CB-BCDDA5559FAB.MP4

12. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT

13. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    ooops! won’t accept mp4 format...trust me, it sounds great!

14. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    5906984F-8F28-421E-BF60-2AED2631DBCA.
    snapshot

15. dloase

dloase

Jun 20, 2016
    I seem to recall a story somewhere that the case for the Martin EB-18 and EB-28 were rifle cases as no one was making a case large enough for them at the time.

Bobo likes this.
  16. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, that's what I would do. I'd offer the Pelican case as an option for about +$40, and I would pre-cut the foam inside to fit.

I may even be able to fit a gig bag inside the Pelican case. Probably not the Reunion Blues Continental, but some other model nice bag. That way, you'd have both. Use the gig bag to carry it around locally; pop the gig bag into the Pelican when you travel.

17. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I had an EB 28 with the original case, a scroll bass might have fit in there and the body shape was similar however I sold it before I acquired my Scroll bass so I never got the chance. I will say that those cases were not good quality by any means, certainly not a gun case, I remember it being a bit warped and not shutting very well.

Bobo likes this.
  18. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I have some past experience with Pelican cases. When I worked in Disney's electronics lab, we used Pelican cases a lot, whenever we built custom test equipment which would get sent out to the maintenance techs at the theme parks. We'd buy the cases, usually the smaller rectangular sizes, and pull out the foam. I'd make up aluminum panels to fit inside to mount displays, card racks, rack computers, etc. A permanent safe enclosure for electronic gear.

I was impressed by their engineering and manufacturing quality. Crisp precise molding, watertight rubber seals, thicker ribs right where they needed to be for strength. And they were strong. It would take multiple blows with a sledgehammer to break one open.

But I also remember them as being pretty expensive. That's why I was surprised that this V800 rifle case is only $199.

Bobo likes this.
  19. dloase

dloase

Jun 20, 2016
    We used Pelican cases a lot when I was on active duty. Very tough and water proof, which was a requirement. We pack all of our module test and repair equipment in them and never had a problem with the cases. $199 isn't bad at all for one of their cases.

Bruce Johnson, Bobo and Ed Bloom like this.
  20. I guess the "putting a musical instrument in a rifle case" thing goes both ways...

[​IMG]

ICM, Runnerman and Bobo like this.