1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

love of Ampeg and other Scroll Basses, Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 9, 2014.

1. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)

(Actually, for the record, I love haggis, but come by it honestly, my grandpa was from Kinguissie. ;) )

Bobo likes this.
  2. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    aye, laddie!

bholder likes this.
  3. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    Caramel macchiato sea salt haggis?...um, no...

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    The power came back on at 9:30 pm...But now I'm not allowed to be in the building. :rage: And, unfortunately, they are predicting more high winds and hot air tomorrow. So, they may shut it off again in the morning.

There definitely is a conspiracy to keep me from finishing #016. Someone in the government doesn't want you to have it, Bobo. But I'll foil them somehow.

1975Bassist, Ed Bloom and Bobo like this.
  5. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    Aaayyyyyyiiiieeee! Say it isn’t so!

6. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    Thanks, Bruce. I have complete and utter (udder?) confidence that you will! Cheers, Bobo

7. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    Hey, Bruce. hope you’re doing okay. what’s the status of the power in Fillmore? hope the fires/smoke are getting under control. back east news is not saying much about the fires...all saturated with politics. take care, bobo

8. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Hey Bobo;

We're fine here. Winds quieted down today and the power stayed on. Haven't seen any fires close to us up here in Ventura County. A quiet day, actually, feeling better physically and got some work done.

Some good news today, too. The city and the group who are buying the building agreed and signed a contract today. That's a big milestone toward closing the sale. A big sigh of relief from all of us. A few more details to be worked out, and they'll be lifting the stupid time restrictions on us. So we can get back to working normal hours, hopefully. And working out the future with the new owners.

But there's fewer of us. This week, Jon Wilson, who builds the cool GuitarViols, announced he's moving out at the end of the month. He's had it with this crap from the city, and he also wanted to reduce his daily commute. He found a shop in Valencia, at about twice the rent and not underground. It's going to cost him in heating and air conditioning. But it's a good location, much shorter drive from home. He says the gas and time savings are worth the higher rent. We'll miss him, but he'll probably still be stopping in occasionally. I still make some parts for him.

So, we're down to just four Luthiers. Myself, Keith Horne, Randy Robinson and Rob Allen. Many of the other shop tenants have left, or are out of town for a while (and may not return). Quiet times in the Secret Underground Lab. I really don't know what's going to happen when the new guys take over. They've assured us that we can stay, at the same rents, but we don't know if they want to fill the place up with tenants or just keep it quiet.

GKon, Joshua and Bobo like this.
  9. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    Hi Bruce, thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about Jon, but it sounds like a good move for him. I hope you can keep the fires at bay. We’ll stay cautiously optimistic about the new owners. Let us know if there’s anything we can do to help. May you all continue pursuing your passions. Take good care, Bobo

nouroog and Ed Bloom like this.
  10. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    scroll tops, a part of bass legacy. jazz vespers service at st. peter’s in nyc, c.15 years ago. robert silverman, piano; kevin higgins, drums; bobo, horizontal scroll top bass.

GKon, bholder, bluesblaster and 2 others like this.
  11. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    what about the guy upstairs that did the travel trailers ? or was he the previous owner ? anyway, hope everything works out for the best

12. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Ah, Bobo, that's beautiful! To me, that's exactly what Scroll Basses were designed for. That style of open, easy jazzy music, that tone, and your style of playing. Everett Hull is smiling at you!

GKon, Ed Bloom and Bobo like this.
  13. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    Thanks, Bruce. That means a lot to me!

GKon and Ed Bloom like this.
  14. Ed Bloom

Ed Bloom

Oct 24, 2017
    Yokota AB, Japan
    I wish I could "like" these last several posts twice. Not the kind of music I've played in several years, but I still love it!

Bobo likes this.
  15. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    Thanks, Ed. I am very lucky to be involved with several different groups that play a wide variety of musical genres, from traditional to original, from folk to rock to bluegrass to jazz. It keeps me in my toes and keeps pushing me to expand my horizons. Cheers, Bobo

16. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    Here’s some more of the AMUB-1 in action: https://dmlavorgna.wixsite.com/thebottomline/50th-anniversary

bholder likes this.
  17. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Oh yes, Jazzy Blues. Blues with some Jazz on top to make it lighter and happier. I love it. That's what we played in the Blues Express, a blues band I was in a few years back. Again, exactly the musical environment that the Ampeg Scroll Bass was designed for. The Scroll Bass can certainly do other things (Doom Metal!!), but Jazzy Blues is its home.

jumbodbassman, 1975Bassist and Bobo like this.
  18. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    Absolutely!

19. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    lake louise

bholder likes this.
  20. Bobo