1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

love of Ampeg and other Scroll Basses, Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    btw, it was 54 degrees here yesterday morning. it was 18 degrees here this morning. i’m not complaining. it just amazes me every year that we can vary from below zero to over 100 degrees less than six months. that’s all. have an opalescent day!

2. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    visiting mom in Florida. 82 LOL but heading to CT tonight.

Bruce will there be a refitting option on earlier basses???

Bobo likes this.
  3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Do you mean for the Hot Split pickup, or just the Hot pickup? Yes to both. If you want more output level, I could send you the single-housing Hot pickup. It's 1/8" taller than the pickup you have, but I believe it will bolt & solder right in.

If you want the increased level, plus the adjustment ability of the two halves, I can retrofit the Hot Split pickup into your AMB-2. But, you'd have to send it back to me. It would need a little bit of routing in the body.

Bobo likes this.
  4. jumbodbassman

Dec 28, 2009
    Born Again Tubey
    more for the future thought. once i get it i will see which way. i also might like the subtle variety as may gigs vary a lot subtle

Bobo likes this.
  5. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    And there's the Hot Split Pickup housing mold! In purple silicone! With built-in dowel pins to align the base plate. That's the process.

IMG_6867B.jpg

aetheriac, diegom, GKon and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    It’s a beautiful process. Purple just became my favorite color!

7. But... but... You only have one side of the split! Now you have to make the mold for the other!!!:roflmao::meh::rolleyes::wacky:

just kidding...

Diego

8. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Due to my concentrated engineering effort, this mold is ambidextrous! It can be used to cast either half. But, after I test it out for fit, I probably will cast a second one. So I can pour both halves at one time.

diegom, GKon and Bobo like this.
  9. dloase

dloase

Jun 20, 2016
    As always Bruce I take great pleasure in watching you work from afar.

Bobo, it was 70 degrees here on Monday. I came home to snow on my back deck last night. Virginia, like a lot of other places can experience all four seasons within the span of days, or sometimes hours.

Bobo likes this.
  10. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    Crazy, crazy weather! I have cure...scroll top basses!

11. Bruce Johnson

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Some good news at last!!! Today, the Yellow Tag on our building was officially lifted. The restrictions on access to my shop are gone. I can now work all night and all weekend, any hours I want. Back to a normal work schedule, after 3 months of being in chains. A tremendous mental relief for me. I'll write more over on the Secret Underground Lab thread.

bholder, JIO, aetheriac and 13 others like this.
  12. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    Bruce, that is awesome news! You must be very relieved. Congrats! Bobo

13. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    That's fantastic news. I'm happy to hear it.

Bobo likes this.
  14. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    504CF82D-17AF-4827-BA48-69D8B5706C6F.jpeg 37C69B33-D600-40C5-9906-4AEE6E4BB08E.jpeg from the archives...playing at the world special olympics in new haven, ct with robert crotty...

jumbodbassman and Joshua like this.
  15. Great news!

Bobo likes this.
  16. dloase

dloase

Jun 20, 2016
    Great news Bruce. We all like our routines, and really don't like having them upset.

Bobo likes this.
  17. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    05EBF416-FC32-4C00-BA7D-EB715689676C.jpeg archives...playing at the Meriden Daffodil Festival in CT with The Modeans. c.2015

Ed Bloom likes this.
  18. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    87289E97-AAD3-4BC9-8000-3A23BDDBD21E.jpeg here’s a cellphone photo of s contact sheet of a picture taken at toad’s place in new haven ct. it’s me, and it’s my ‘68 ampeg amub-1 fretless scroll top. that’s my story, and i’m stickin’ to it!

19. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    wow! look at all that hair!...and it’s dark too!

20. jumbodbassman

Dec 28, 2009
    Born Again Tubey
    did they have cell phones back then. LOLOL

Bobo likes this.