Love round sound, want flat feel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jammadave, Jan 15, 2004.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    okay, so I bought two sets of GHS Brite Flats for my Warwicks, because I *LOVE* the growly sound I'm getting with both basses, but want a smoother attack and less finger noise than I get with the warwick stock rounds on them.

I guess I just want to know before I change them, if the Brite Flats (or any other halfround) will retain all that growl, most of it, etc?

(and by growl in this situation, I mean I was playing Roundabout [poorly =0)] last night with a little bit of slap and fingerstyle together, and without any overdrive I sounded like I *was* using overdrive. THAT growly.)

Might go all the way flat, actually, on the fretless, for that string bass attack. But I want to get the right strings on my #1 (the blonde) first, and without too much changing.

thx in advance
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, good call Treena. I used the Markley half rounds for many years, on fretted as well as fretless basses. They're a good compromise for feel and tone, and excellent strings in and of themselves.
  3. I have not used them, but I have heard that gortex(and equivalent)-covered round-wounds give less finger noise. Can anyone comment on whether they should be on jammadave's list?
  4. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Okay, so last night I put Brite Flats on the fretted Thumb.

Yick. Not "hate these strings" yick, but "i hate these strings for this bass" yick.

so I'm going to swap them onto the fretless thumb instead, and take the original-equipment rounds from the fretless back onto the fretted. Rounds make it growl so nicely, and some of the finger noise should go away with time. (right?)

always lookin' for that perfect set though.
  5. Tbass66

Mar 15, 2002
    the TI flats had the most growl for flats on my thumb..maybe even more so then the half wounds
  6. Elixirs? Maybe? Some coated strings feel SORTA like flats...
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    if you are really worried about just finger squeak, then using fast fret or fingerease would really help. also makes the neck slick of you use it on the back as well. but if you are looking for flat feel or the next best, half rounds, or groudwounds would be the way to go. Experiment a little.
  8. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Heya guys, thanks for the input - SMASH, I went ahead and swapped the Brite Flats over to the fretless Thumb and I couldn't stop playing it! Woohoo! I got the rounds back onto the fretted Thumb and I jes' plain likes the sound that way. Finger noise will have to be eliminated by technique or maybe by some fast-fret in extreme circumstances.
  9. Treena, thanks for the input about this subject, because I was in the same boat. I just put a set of the D'Addario halfrounds on my Kingston 5 and I am in love. Smooth feel with minimal finger noise, but brighter than a few sets of flats that I've tried. I also like the TI flats, but the low B string was too thick for my liking.

I think I found my perfect set of strings! :D