Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Love the Growly tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sidecar666, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    I love the really growly tone of G&L and Musicman. Are there any other basses I should be looking at before I buy? I own a Sterling already and am looking for a second bass. I play 4 string with my fingers (no pick).

2. Bongo might be worthwhile to look at in a double humbucker config. If you already have a Sterling you can afford to use the Bongo when you don't need to slap. I wouldn't recommend the HH Bongo if you didn't have another bass and wanted to slap, but since you do...

PS: If Bovine reads this he will probably kick me in the balls for saying Bongo isn't good if you don't have another bass...I appologize in advance BH ;)

3. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    made in america fender jazz bass

4. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Jazz Bass another vote....Fender QC is all over the map IMHO so be carefull....My SVT solves all my growlling needs. :)

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    A dual bucker Bongo would be fine as an only bass....for ME.

I would also suggest you try a Reverend Rumblefish.

6. the bongo is a mighty fine suggestion. but, to add some variation to what everyone else is saying, maybe you should look into warwicks, they have a really growly sound.

7. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    I don't slap much. I've never even heard of a Reverend Rumblefish. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestions.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'll toss in another vote for Warwicks. They claim to be THE sound for growling. Worth a try! Also try a jazz bass, the quissential growl. Make sure you take a second (and third, and fourth) look at the G&L L2000 or 2500 before making your purchase -- GREAT instrument, and it can cop a damn good j-bass tone in addition to a stingray, p-bass, and it's own unique voice.

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Growl=Lightwave anything

10. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Fender Jazz. Musicmans aren't growly to me.

11. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I think I'm leaning toward a G&L L-2000 Tribute Premium. I had a chance to play the USA and the Tribute back to back...the difference to me didn't seem to be 700 dollars worth of a difference. Not demeaning the USA made...just that the Tribute seemed really good! Same electronics is the biggest plus.
    It's a second bass for me, so i don't wanna pay big cash for one.
    I'll check out the Warwicks at the local Guitar Center first, though!

12. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I love the growl from Warwicks, but think they're butt ugly, so I popped a pair of MEC pickups into my SX and with Rotosound Swingbass66 strings, it growled pretty nice. My OLP MM3 had a slightly better growl at my gig last night through an Ampeg SVT-100/EVM15L loaded cab. It was probably because I was digging in harder on the strings, but damn......I need to start using the Ampeg more.

13. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I love the growl of my geddy sig.

It's a slap machine too.

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Be careful with the basses there, i have heard bad things about the maintenance of basses at GC - especially Warwicks: they dont get the care they need, the wax, and have dead strings on... But if you are looking for a woody growl tone, check out a Corvette Std or a Thumb. Also try looking for them used.

My Corvette 6 growls like a maniac, or purrs like a kitty if I want it to; but i can get many nice tones out of it. Slaps quite well, but its got a different woody type growly slap tone :cool: i dig it!

15. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I agree that the Warwicks are butt ugly! hahaha I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I also very much agree about the care of instruments at Guitar center...I mean, come on...how hard is it to put some new strings on some of those basses! It'll only make them sell better!

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, there are exceptions - like the Corvette, IMHO is very nice... And its the tone that counts, anyway - the Thumb is a good example for that: ugly, but the tone... :cool: now thats got growl

17. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    My ATK 305 growls really nice!! :bassist:

18. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz Fender Jazz

19. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Fender Jazz (Marcus Miller or a vintage especially), Zon Sonus, and Yamaha BBEast.

very growly basses!

20. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    ??!!?? I think you work with a different definition for growl...
    I would not call these basses as growly as the others. They have a clear, defined sound, while growl has to do with 'growl' ;)
    For example when I compare my corvette 6 andmy teachers MMsig, then i think mine growls while his is more clean