Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Love the old Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PartlyDave, Dec 28, 2003.

1. PartlyDave

PartlyDave

Dec 28, 2003
    Salem, OR
    On the left is a '65 Jazz, the right is 1972 Precision, both original. They play great and sound great with the Ampeg.

2. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Love the matching set. :D

3. OW!!!

THE GAS!!!:( :D :D

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    :D

5. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    BEAUTIFUL!

6. don't you just love the decal used on those early 70's P basses, just so wonderful! Fender really needs to get a better decal design for it's current standards but I have to say the one they have no is better than the boring one (that looks like MIM) that had during the early 90's

7. They look really cool

But I am more fan of the late 70” Fender basses because of the Ash body; maple fret board with jumbo frets, and the tuning gear is better (made by Schaller 1976-82) and the nice big black Decal is more safe under the finish

These Fenders from the 70” sound great if you love to thump and slap, and that’s my style

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Looks just gorgeous man, and welcome to TB!!

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Oh hell!......I thought this might be about
    "real" Fenders! :D :D :D

10. I've got just one word........GAS!!!:bassist:

11. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I'm not too sure about that bottle of vaseline lotion though...:eek: :smug: :p

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the basses I prefer are late seventies' Precision basses, they just play themselves IMO!

13. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I picked up a 70's USA reissue pbass and it plays like a dream! It is THE BASS for me.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    70's USA reissue? Aren't those Japanese or is there another one floating around?

15. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    No, it is a 70's USA made reissue. It was a factory special run produced in 2002. I picked it up this August, new, in 2003. I haven't seen them new since then. It is a great bass. It is more like a american series pbass, compared to a reissue like the '62 pbass. It has the 70's logo on the headstock, vintage tinted neck, slighty slimmer neck, and olympic white body w/black pickguard. However, that is as far the reissue goes. It has a string through body, graphite reinforced neck, tuners, just like the current american series. I guess it is a blend between reissue and current american series. Best of both worlds I guess!

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hmm, either way I'll be importing one of the Japanese 70's Precisions from Japan. $550 for the bass, another $100 to ship. At least it sounds better than 700,000 yen!

17. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    You will be getting a sweet bass! I got pretty lucky on the one I picked up. It cost me 700 new. It was supposed to be 750, but it came with a ding on the headstock - barely noticable. Guitartrader.com knocked off 50 bucks. Enjoy your bass and rock on!

18. Killer setup you have there!

Welcome to Talkbass, you and I have a lot in common already!

SAWEEEEEEET photo Dave!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

19. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    When there placed side by side like that you can really see the differnces in the neck. I've never played a J-bass but only read there neck are thinner.

Nice basses, sweet stack