Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Love this tone!! .. now if I only knew what bass it is??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fiebru1119, Jan 19, 2005.

1. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I recently bought a Brian Culberton CD and theres a track with a tone I absolutely fell in love with!! A sample clip of the song can be heard here:

http://www.brianculbertson.com/disc/come/cou2.html

Its the second song on the "Come on up" album. The clip is kinda short and curts off before the bass really starts to come out, so if anyone wants the whole mp3 I can email it to you.

Any ideas what it might be?? Btw, the bassist on the track is Alex Al. Thanks TB!

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    BC is from Decatur originally, tho living in Chicago area now (unless he's moved to LA or something now). Anyway, I'm pretty sure he cut this album with a Chicago based bass player with awesome tone. Can't recall the name, but he's got a solo album, too, and I remember seeing a picture of a USA deluxe 5.

Can't guarantee that's what he used or is still using, but that's what I recall.

3. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
  4. isnt that a peavey fury or foundation or something close to that?

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, that looks like some kind of Peavey, based on the shape of the pickups.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Am I missing something?

Sez that Marcus Miller played bass on that. He gets writing credit too.

Fender Jazz Bass MM signature.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    oops, nevermind - was looking at the wrong track. :)

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think that's a fury in the picture.

However, I thought for sure I found a web site with info on Alex, showing some gear, including a deluxe Fender 5, but now I can't seem to find it. Maybe I'm just imagining things...

Yeah, all the bass parts on Come On Up are lessons in groove. First time I ever heard that "muted" sound used that way and I can't get enough of it. Saw the Buddah (Bill Dickens) do it at NAMM and it's just great.

Jeez, lookin' at some of Alex's credits... holy crap, that's one awesome dude.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It is a Peavey Axcelerator 5 bass. Looks as if it may be the one with the 2TEK bridge option.

Here is a pic of the 4 string version.

[​IMG]

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Now that I look at it again, that is a Wilkinson bridge. Can't remember if those were stock or not.

Found a pic of a purple 5.

[​IMG]

11. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden

I seem to remember reading that Alex Al favors his 70´s Jazz with maple neck and board and EMG pickups.

He probably has alot of other ones also, but the sound on the clip, could me a Jazz with EMG´s. although the sound quality on my work computer is crap.

Peik

12. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

I knew it had sort of a Fenderish J-sound but much more articulate and not much like most Fenders I've heard, so the J/EMG combo sounds likely. Vics, I know what you mean about the groove thing- the whole album is just sick! Another favorite of mine is Eric Mariental's "Sweet Talk". Melvin Davis holds it down thick with that Smith 7..