1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lovely Hum

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by redstrand, Jun 27, 2007.

1. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Well I re-wired and shielded my Bass...less noisy from the J pickup..still quite a bit a noise when the the tone knob is rolled up.

That said, when I plug it into my effects with any kind of gain...it gets really, really noisy.

My question is...should I get a noise supressor?

Right now all I do is practice, but the noise drives me nuts.

I looked at all the older posts and some say things about tone suck. I really don't want to spend major $$$$.

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I love my NS-2, and can give several reasons why it's an excellent noise supressor.

But don't use that; fix the bass! There must be something wrong with it. Good, proper shielding should go very-far toward elliminating this BUZZ (I'm assuming you have 60Hz-related buzz, being that it diminishes when you roll-off the tone).

Maybe ask the Setup Forum guys?

..THEN get an NS-2! you'll be able to run incredible amounts of high-gain distortion, with no noise.

Joe

3. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Single coil pickups are noisy, increasing gain and treble increases the noise. Shielding can only reduce it but not eliminate it. There's not necessarily anything wrong with the bass. Do you run your amp with lots of treble? A noise suppressor might be worth a try.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    There IS a pedal solution for single-coil hum, but it's not a noise suppressor:

[​IMG]

Noise suppressors don't do what this does. The EHX Hum Debugger was built specifically for these hum issues, and from the two reviews on TB I've seen so far for them, it seems like it works great. The only drawback is its 7.5V wall wart.

Without a pedal, better shielding or different (less noisy) pickups are your best bets, as a noise suppressor will not solve the problem.

5. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Shielding...check!
    Rewired...check!
    The hum is better than when I first got the Bass.
    After rewiring it and using the Fender diagram to do so...the Bass is much queiter and smoother. I replaced the pots too.

I'll see who has a hum debugger around here and give it a try.

6. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    What sort of pickups are you using, out of curiosity?

I know you've got a modded Squier P-Bass Special, but I was just curious what kind of P and J pickup you've got on it.

IMO, you're trying to perform an "extreme makeover" on ugly duckling of the Fender family :D

7. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    it has the same pickups it came with.

Boo, I hear ya...picked it up for a song...just making it usable. Once I get any kind of good...I get to buy another Bass.

Found a video of the Hum Debugger...Holy Crap!!!! Seems to me that this would do the trick.

http://www.gearwire.com/media/electro-harmonix-humdebugger.wmv

8. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Ah, I forgot about that video!

Since your pickups are stock, you might want to seriously consider getting new ones... not only would it fix most of your hum problems, but it'd also give you a better P/J tone overall.

It's a $120 pedal... you could get some great new or used pickups for that much. Heck, a pair of Seymour Duncan Basslines pickups usually runs around $120. Active EMG pickups are even quieter (I've used their PJ set before), and that'll run you about $160. And that's not even considering other brands, other tonal options...

The Hum Debugger is something I'd recommend for vintage pickups or expensive-but-noisy pickups.

9. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings

Way ahead of you...shielded the cavities. Boo I might go for the different pickups. I agree that for a $120 or less I could get something sweet. At least the thing is wired correctly now...it was a mess when I got it. Swapping out pickups now would be a 15 minute fix.

10. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    would pickup covers help that issue? I have a fretless Jazz copy which I sometimes want to play using only the neck pickup, which produces that hum... + I find PUp covers looking great :)

of course, that bass would sound better with new pickups anyway, but still, do the covers do the trick?

11. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    So will the Debugger work out the 60hz hum that Joe P mentioned earlier? I just assumed that my Fralin P pickup was going to have noise with the treble up. Thoughts Boo? :confused:

12. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I'm actually not sure what it actually solves, or really, how it even works, but EHX claims it can deal with any pickup hum.

So far, the only two people I know of on TB who own one have nothing but good things to say about it. Here's the opinion of one of them:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306701

13. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Talked to my Dad (he's a bit of a Ham radio nut). The power pack that needs only 7.5V as opposed to the 9V is "phasing" the signal...so we think. he's dropping by next week, we're going to build something and see if it works.

I'll just practice with the P Pup for the time being.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021