lovely modes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JazZ-A-LoT, Jun 2, 2003.

1. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    heay all, I have a question that I've been having quite the time trying to get the anwser too, maybe you guys can lend a hand. So I know my diatonic major modes like the back of my hand. I was just wondering what are the modes if the I is minor or 7 or such, then how do you figure out modes from there?

2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmmm how do you mean?

You mean you want to know the modes of the minor scale?

You said:

How do you mean, "the I is minor"? It doesn't really make sense. How can the first degree of any scale be minor? :confused:

Are you confusing this with chords?

You mean how do you figure out the modes if Chord I is minor or 7?

The thing is, the modes are formed from the major scale, not from chords. If chord I is minor, then you're in a minor key, so that will impact what modes you use. Maybe Aeolian, or Dorian. Or maybe Melodic or Harmonic Minor.

If chord I is a 7 chord, then maybe you're in the Mixolydian mode.

At any rate, modes are not worked out in relation to chord I of whatever key you're in... you don't say "ok, chord I is a C7, I'll work out the modes from there". You might well think "ok, chord I is a C7, so I'll try Mixolydian". But the modes are all already defined, you don't work them out again in the context of whatever chord I is.
  3. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    THanks for sorting that out for me, I had the complete wrong idea about modes.
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not so much like the back of your hand anymore? Keep pluggin, you'll get it.