lovely modes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JazZ-A-LoT, Jun 2, 2003.

1. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    heay all, I have a question that I've been having quite the time trying to get the anwser too, maybe you guys can lend a hand. So I know my diatonic major modes like the back of my hand. I was just wondering what are the modes if the I is minor or 7 or such, then how do you figure out modes from there?

:confused:

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmmm how do you mean?

You mean you want to know the modes of the minor scale?

You said:

How do you mean, "the I is minor"? It doesn't really make sense. How can the first degree of any scale be minor? :confused:

Are you confusing this with chords?

You mean how do you figure out the modes if Chord I is minor or 7?

The thing is, the modes are formed from the major scale, not from chords. If chord I is minor, then you're in a minor key, so that will impact what modes you use. Maybe Aeolian, or Dorian. Or maybe Melodic or Harmonic Minor.

If chord I is a 7 chord, then maybe you're in the Mixolydian mode.

At any rate, modes are not worked out in relation to chord I of whatever key you're in... you don't say "ok, chord I is a C7, I'll work out the modes from there". You might well think "ok, chord I is a C7, so I'll try Mixolydian". But the modes are all already defined, you don't work them out again in the context of whatever chord I is.

3. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    THanks for sorting that out for me, I had the complete wrong idea about modes.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not so much like the back of your hand anymore? Keep pluggin, you'll get it.