Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loves Roundwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nanook, Jan 2, 2001.

1. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Well, I'm the guy that hated roundwounds last year. They really sounded sick on my new Rickenbacker. I never thought I would use rounds. That was before Yammerhammer.

My brand new "never played" old stock Yamaha TRB-6P came with rounds. What kind I don't know, maybe someone can help me out identifing them. These things sound great!

Maybe it Is due to the extremely stiff neck, the VERY tight low B string (I've never picked up any bass with a tighter low B)or the bridge pick up? I just don't know but it must be something about the bass. Any ideas?

The Rick still sounds rotten with rounds and the Yammer sounds great with them????????????????????????????????

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think what you are discovering is that the bass itself contributes most to the sound. Rickenbackers are noted for their "clank", which is accentuated by roundwounds and which people either love or hate. The TRB6P is more versatile or neutral but probably more biased towards the mids, so roundwounds don't have such a drastic effect. I found that Slowounds - nickel roundwounds sounded great on my TRB6P.

3. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I love roundwounds too. I've been playing with stainless steel rounds for about 15 years now (about 3 quarters of my career). For my style of playing and sound they work best for me.