Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lovetone Big Cheese, D*A*M* Meathead?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Scottie Johnson, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Has anyone tried a Lovetone Big Cheese fuzz on bass? There is a place where I could get a clone of it for a good price, but I would have to wait a few months.

I'm also thinking of a D*A*M* Meathead fuzz, since that was used on Mark Lanegan's "Hit the City", (I think), and I love that fuzz tone.

Anyone know about these pedals?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The guy on Harmony Central seems pretty efficient and apparently his clones are good.

3. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, I found a link to that on guitargeek. Then I saw your post and figured I just throw something out here on talkbass.

I might order one from him even if I have to wait a few months. I'm struggling to find any good fuzz/distortion pedal to try here in Nebraska.

4. The big cheese rocks! But, you will be missing the low end if you don't mix in some of your clean signal. The good news is, if you're going to get a clone, you might be able to get the builder to put in a simple buffer with a level control (or wet/dry balance control) in parallel with the cheese circuit. :cool:

Sorry, don't know abou tthe DAM Pedals. The audio clips sound cool, tho. The Meathead sounds good for metal guitar. I like the sound of the Ezikiel for bass.

Tried a bigmuff?

~ Charlie

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just noticed you're from Boston! I love Boston.

What is it you like about the Ezekiel? I was just looking at that one and am curious about it. Can you play chords with the pedal on and will they still ring through?

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It's an Alembic FX-1 clone :)

7. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Just to clarify, I will be running a two amp setup. SWR sm900 into acme 2x10, with the tuner out going to an Ampeg B-100r.

Tried a Big Muff, it was good, but it didn't make me want to buy it, so I guess that means it's not good enough.

8. Yeah, Boston is wicked cool.

Of all the audio clips I listened to on the DAM page, I just thought the Ezekiel sounded the best for bass, good amount of fuzz & grit while retaining the lows. But, I don't have one, so can't say how it deals with chords. Didn't even know it was an Alembic clone. :cool:

~ Charlie

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I know its an alembic clone because the Eze started life as a custom shop job for me :)

10. That's cool, Toast. I guess DAM is choosing to be more mysterious about the pedal's origins...
    So, I'm guessing the Ezekiel is just emulating the valves with transistors?

~ Charlie

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Oh right, well mine was an alembic fx-1 clone with a bassman 400 preamp circuit:

[​IMG]

David Main at D*A*M is a great guy to work with :)

12. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I tried the Lovetone Big Cheese many years ago when those guys had recently started... must have been '97 or '98 I guess...
    What I found was that it took away the punch from my bass (like moosapotamus said), and I didn't like that. Apart from that, it sounded like madness, very cool! If I was playing lead lines or far-out rock music, then I could probably use it.

Who does clones? Are schematics available somewhere?

13. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    what about lovetones brown source? thats their distortion i think. anyone ever tried that?

14. R.G. has a write-up on The Great Cheddar at geofex.com. It's possible to build it with three toggle switches instead of the single rotary switch, to get a few more tonal options out of it.
    I've never tried the BS.

~ Charlie

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Very, VERY cool! Any soundclips?

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Sorry, i never recorded any :)