Lovetone Meatball?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by huskies90, Jul 12, 2005.

1. huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Which pedal comes closest to the Meatball? I am looking for the funky tones Mike Gordon gets from this thing but I don't want to shell out $500...
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    To be honest, not alot.
  3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah to elaborate on Toasteds comment, we have tried

Emma Duscumbobulator
    MXR Bass Auto Q
    Guyatone BR-2
    Boss AW-2
    Dunlop 105q Bass Wah
    Dod FX25B
    Xotic Robotalk
    EHX Mini Q-tron
    EHX Q-tron Plus
    Pigtronix EP-1
    Akai Deep Impact
    EBS Bass IQ
    Digitech BSW
    Line 6 FM4

And none of them come close to the sounds of the meatball, I eventually gave up on filters and got the MXR Bass Auto Q, to me it what the wettest and squeltchiest, filter I could find. The pigtronix is actually the best of the list, but to me the phaser section is a waste of money at least to me and it's to big for my board.

The Dod is ok but has a volume drop and more or less loses all bass in the signal.

Hope this helps
  4. huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Wow. That is disappointing. What kind of sounds can you get out of the Digitech BSW? When I was searching, it seems alot of folks here like it but I am not sure if even remotely compares...
  5. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Meatballs do sound great but mine is a real handfull. The controls are extremely interactive. A fantasic sound can _completely_ disappear when you ever so slightly tweak another knob, very hard to manage live. Maybe it's just mine, who knows. I agree with tayste, the pigtronix is excellent too, just watch out if you kick it in on some of the more extreme settings, there's some serious gain happening in there. I put mine in the loop of an LS2 and use it to manage the volume. The piggy uses an AC adapter which is a bit of a pain. EBS is nice, easy to use too, tho I've seen 3 dead EBS's and my EBS compressor won't run on batteries anymore. I might have to give the MXR a try, "wet and squelchy", mmmmm.......
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Bump to an old thread- I love the clips I've heard of th Meatball, but they're impossilbe to find+very pricey. Any other pedals come out that do a similar job?
  7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Tayste_2000, Toasted, and Markjazzbassist seem to be the authorities on that one.

I'm sure one of them will drop in on this thread eventually!
  8. fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    I Love the MXR Bass Auto Q…but Recently got a Boomstick Bottom Feeder I’m trying out. I currently have both the Auto Q and the Boomstick on my board…I will say that initially, the Bottom Feeder seems much brighter and more subtle than the Auto Q (which I have always felt has a “dark” sound to it), but that may be due to the adjustments…I am still experimenting with the “Frequency and Sensitivity” knobs on the Bottom Feeder…
  9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    thanks Boo!

yah man honestly the Meatball is kinda its own beast. I've owned a bunch of filters too and its seems its really down to the Mutron III (original) and Meatball for best sounds. The Mutron has the best sound (others words not mine, i don't own one, yet:)) while the Meatball has the most flexibility.

Give the Frostwave Funk-A-Duck a shot, they have been getting some decent reveiws. Other than that I'd just say to save up your cash.
  10. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Funk-a-duck is the craziest filter I ever used. That this was scary.
  11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    OK, but craziest in a good way? You have some reference points man, use them! What are we talking about here?
  12. prsbass

Oct 13, 2006
    Anybody have a link to info about the original Mutron III I searched but not knowing a reissue from an original I can't figure out which one I'm reading about. Do they look the same? I've several go on eBay but they range in price from $300-$550 so that just confused me even more.
    I'd like to get an original Mutron III and just want to be an educated buyer when I make the purchase.

Also my search for a Meatball was a dead end too, are they out of production or did I miss something?
  13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA

tell us more about the Frostwave Joe. Crazy good or crazy bad?

The Original Mutron was produced by Musitronics. The hack reissue was made by Haz Labs. Go for the Musitronics ones, they'll cost you around 500-600 USD. I just lost in an auction on eBay for one that went for $560.

Lovetone was producing the Meatballs again (they go in little spurts) up until recently. A couple of TBer's have tried to contact them about Meatballs, and they have responded that they are out of them again.

For more info on both check out
  14. The Frostwave is just crazy BAD.. I owned one after selling my MXR auto Q which annoyed me because i couldn't control the wah (it like an oscillating wah). And THe funk a duck is just a pain in the neck in my experience. Crazy as hell and haven't ever heard a pedal produce similar sounds however only useful in a recording studio situation. I eventually settled on the Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk Mark II envelope filter. I love it. Responds well to the dynamics of my playing. I didn't see the 00Funk on anyones list so i thought i'd mention it.

But Save yourself from getting a FUnk-a-duck. Its more of a headache than anything else.

I have yet to try a meatball though....
  15. mpweiss07

Mar 17, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    +1 on the Chunk Systems. I use the Agent 00Funk MkII and the Brown Dog together and get some great usable funky sounds.
  16. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Sorry guys, I've not talked gear for ages. I've got my "OT" hat on.

The frostwave's sweep goes both deeper and higher than any filter I've ever used, ever. I actually shyed away from using it with my DB750/UL310 because I was seriously scared for both the amp and cab.

This filter is NOT FOR NEWBIES! YOU WILL damage your gear!

The sweep is really nice sounding, and can be set to be a fast quack, or a slower phase shift type wave.

It's very tweakable - but moving one knob a nudge can totally throw your sound out.

Couple that with the dodgy power requirement and I'd say that this is more of a studio tool than a live pedal.

I sold it because I couldn't get a sound out of it that I was happy with, and that I was sure wasn't going to fire my cones out of my cab, or reduce my hi-freq hearing.

I can't really compare it to anything (and you know I've owned them all). I'd really like to get another, and then a Frostwave resonator, and a frostwave hibeam, and a frostwave alienator... oh geez, there it goes.

I set out to try all the filters (and I did!) and now what do I use for my filter sound? A phaser. Crazy, eh?
  17. prsbass

Oct 13, 2006
  18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Here's the easiest way to tell an original Mu-Tron III from a reissue: the reissue is actually named the "III+", it has a + on it.
  19. four2oh

Mar 29, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    ok, i'm a serious slacker, and really need to get some audio clips of the funk-a-duck in action for ya'll.. being bored lastnight, i changed up my pedalboard configuration and discovered a new setup i'm digging:

Bass > DeviEverUSA Spectacular GZ (fuzz + feedback loop) > Amp
    in the feedback loop: Whammy v4 (Oct up/Oct down) > Funk-A-Duck > Digitech DD-3

the whammy set to Oct up/Oct down reacts gorgeously with the funk-a-duck (once you dial in the duck, that is, and yes it takes a while to find that perfect sound)
  20. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    +1, I contacted them a few months ago and they had some available (meatball). It was just way over-the-top expensive. I went with an Emma Discombobulator.