Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lovetone or Ebs envelope filter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bongo499, Apr 17, 2005.

1. bongo499

bongo499

Jan 10, 2005
    syosset
    :ninja: i have a good 250$ to spend on effects and i am deciding between either the ebs Bass IQ envelope filter which i herd sounds great compared to the legendary love tone meatball envelope filter which runs a little more in $$. Can you please leave your opinions expecially if you have experience playing with either of these pedals.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, the lovetone will be more than a 'little more'....

I've owned both. The lovetone is a great filter, incredibly tweakable. Unfortunately, for me that's it's downside. If I have 12 knobs I'm likely to fiddle with them all.
    The EBS IS a very good EV pedal, it's not as 'wet' sounding as something like a Mutron but it's very K.I.S.S. and that works better for me.
    If you can go slightly higher than $250, you can pickup an old mutron iii (not the recent iii+ hazlabs reissue) from $300 and up.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Theyre both cool. The EBS is great once you get the filter to open up, and i found you needed quite alot of signal to get it to do this. The Lovetone is great, I dont know why i sold mine, i hope to get it back oneday.

If you're not completely agast at the thought of digital modelling more and more people keep reccomending me the Line6FM4.

4. You should get the Meatball. It's really the nicest envelope filter on the market. Once you figure it out, you're set, and never need to upgrade.