Lovin' my new Roscoe Beck 5!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slaphappy, Sep 24, 2000.

1. It's in the three color sunburst, which looks great and I really like the natural headstock. The tonal versatility is everything everyone says it is who owns one; just amazing. Nice tight B string, too! I also love the Jazz string spacing, so it's easy to slap on.

One of the really cool things I've noticed after spending a couple of weeks with it now is how comfortable it is to play. It has a very comfortable body, very good balance, and the neck/fretboard is five string heaven! The comfort level is kinda surprising, just because it's kind of a big fella, but I have NO problems with fatigue, though doing my chromatic scale warmups across that extra string gets my forearms' attention ;)

Super solid instrument, got a great deal at BassNW, HAPPY guy! Five out of Five Stars. CLOSE runner up: EB Musicman Stingray 5, also EXCELLENT all around, just not quite as diverse tonally and I prefer the string spacing on the RB5. Still might like to get a Stingray 5 fretless down the road.
  2. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    Congradulations !

Nothing quite like a new bass.

3. G

Apr 12, 2000
    Congratulations! I recently purchased a StingRay5, and in my search for a 5 string I found that not a single Fender dealer within the tri-state area had a Roscoe Beck. I really had my heart set on trying/buying one. I am a jazz fan to the core, and passive pickups are the way to go. Anyway, these dealers would not get one in stock unless I put a non-refundable deposit down, so I ended up with the Ray. However, I am totally satisfied. I have never seen a RB5 in the sunburst. A picture would be nice.

4. Thanks, G. Yeah, the sunburst is wonderful. I, too, had a lot of trouble finding one to play at any of the "big" places, but BassNW always tries to keep one around. They go quick! You really couldn't miss with that 'Ray, though. It is a fabulous bass in it's own right, as I stated. I'm a Jazz man, too; this replaced my Am std Jazz. I'll post a pix at this thread in the near future so you can see it :)
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This'll make you sick. I bought my RB5 (it's the green one) used at GC. It was in flawless condition. In fact, it still had remnants of the plastic pickguard protection on it. The price? $640. You may go throw up now.

I went in the next day to buy some new strings for it (wound up with Rotosounds ... probably shoulda gone with my favorites, D'Addario Slowwounds), and the guy behind the counter asked me what the strings were for. I told him they were for an RB5, and he says, "Oh yeah, we got one on the wall over there, and I'm gonna buy it." I just kinda said "Welllll, maybe not." He asked how much I payed for it, and couldn't believe it. He said the perfect GC response: "That's less than what I was going to pay for it."
    That's where I got all that advice for Rojo. :D
  6. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Congrats!GREAT BASS!!!Someday i hope to have one myself.Ive been lucky i guess with them in my area.The dealers usually have one in stock for me to play with.Ive tried about a half dozen or so and they all were great.Very consistent.Theyve all been either SB or CAR though.Never seen the other colors yet.Enjoy!!!
  7. $640??? For a NEW RB5??? Man, that's just a firing offense for the salesman who sold it THAT cheap. What a whore! ;)

The salesman, that is! Good for you :D :D :D
  8. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I like the looks of the RB5, but all I've seen so far are ones in catalogs (no music stores nearby carry it). I have a question: it looks like the pickup arrangement lends itself really well to a classic J-bass sound, but I'd ideally also like to get a true P-bass sound, if possible. The Stu Hamm Urge Bass has both full sets of J-bass and P-bass pickups, so I'd expect it to give that kind of flexibility. Do you think the Roscoe can, even with its pickup arrangement? That would be really great if it could - I'd definitely be inspired to find one to try out! Thanks.
  9. Yeah, Mike, you should really give one a try. The RB5 can definitely shade that way, and actually give a pretty good P-bass thump, but only a P-bass can deliver it's legendary tone 100%. Still, I encourage you to try one if you are interested...it really can do just about anything, and really is fun to play.
  10. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Mike,as nice as the RB is,only a P bass can deliver "that" tone.As Slap said it gets so far then...Anyway,nothing else sounds quite like the RB.It kills all the other variations on the J bass ive tried.Good luck!
  11. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Thanks Slaphappy (great moniker!) and Bernie. I cannot part with the P-bass sound 100% (I have a '70's vintage P and it's set up BAD!!) But there's some stuff I want to do that goes down below low E that would be nice to do with a 5-string. See, I'm already swapping between my P and my fretless Jazz in my band, so I'm gonna be a little hesitant to haul a 3rd bass around just to get below E! So what I was hoping for was a 5-string that would give me the P-bass sound as well as a good J-bass sound. The Roscoe looks really good in all other respects, so if I get a chance to try one, I will. I even had another idea: buy the Roscoe and have a set of P-bass pickups added between the existing ones! ($$ though, and they would have to be wide to catch the B string!)
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
  13. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Thanks for the link. It's not quite what I was looking for, though. I usually use the bridge pickups on the Jazz bass for jazz/fusion stuff, but I'd also like the neck pickups for funk/slap sound, and the Deluxe doesn't have them. I'm also not too enthused about the tuners on the newer Fenders, which is why I gravitated toward the Roscoe. I guess I'm hoping Fender will consider making a Roscoe derivative that has a pickup arrangement like the Urge bass.
  14. I wouldn't count on that, Mike. Since these are both signature basses, I doubt we'll see any cross-pollenation in design. The new Roscoe Beck Urge! :D

Nah, not gonna happen. Plug in a RB5 and fiddle with those coil taps, I think you'll find what you're looking for...
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have played a couple of these, and though the B is not as good as a Roscoe Beck, it IS better than any Jazz 5 I've played. And, I agree with the Bassplayer review on the B string. After playing a maple and a rosewood, the maple has a better, tighter, more defined B string.