1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lovin' my Thunderchief

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RustyAxe, Sep 8, 2008.

1. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I've had my pre-Fender, '01 Tacoma CB10 T'chief for a week now. I have to thank this forum ... I think I read every thread about the T'Chief, and from them I concluded that it was the bass for me. I found one used, at a good price, with the LR Baggs electronics, that was just in need of cleaning and a good setup.

I had it set up by a local pro (while I watched and waited) and it's a delight to play. Gigged with it on Thursday, open mic'd with it on Friday, and jammed with it Saturday from 1 pm until 9 pm (great way to sit out a tropical storm!).

It generates a lot of interest when it comes out of its case, and even more once I start playing. While it's no DB, even with roundwound strings it sounds quite thumpy. Amplified through my small Ampeg BA112, it's pure sonic joy. I'll likely try some flat wound strings in the future ... Thomastic Acousticores or something else (gotta go back and reread some of those old threads).

Anyway, just wanted to express my appreciation to the forum for the great info, and to crow a little about my good fortune in finding a good one. Thanks! :hyper:

- Denny (in CT)

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Loving mine too. Had it for a couple years now, only now its starting to see more use. Wonderful tone and not bad direct at all. Still have not changed the strings.

One issue I have been having is amplifying it. It wants to feedback quite easy. I am totally willing to accept it being more of a product of our crappy practice environment. New bass amp in the future as well, I am sure it will get sussed out.

3. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Great acoustic bass. Still regret that I sold mine several years ago.

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I can see it having feedback issues, that huge top and back resonate pretty well. I played with a loud acoustic (amplified) combo on Thursday. No feedback issues, I was standing to the back of the stage, behind everything that made noise, except for the bass amp. I notice at home in the studio that position relative to FOH speakers, monitors, and amps makes all the difference. I can always jam a sock into the silly paisley sound hole if feedback gets rough.

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Glad to hear I am not totally nuts. I'll try a sock at next practice. I really want to play it live, tone is great and it looks great too.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Congratulations. I got one of the first ones made, I believe my dealer brought it back from NAMM when they were first introduced. From the minute I played it I knew it was really something special. Years later it still satisfies. It's the best ABG I've ever experienced by a very very wide margin.

7. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I found a luthier in California who used to work for Tacoma; he makes feedback busters for the Thunderchief. His website appears to be malfing or gone, but I can PM you his phone number if you want.

I've got one and it works pretty well.

8. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Yeah man, hit me up. I was wondering is anyone made a buster for the Tacoma stuff.

Thanks!!!

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I would love one of those too, I'll PM you for his number. And if you ever find his web site let us know.