Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lovin' the Dean Performer ABG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcollin, Feb 13, 2006.

1. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    Tried out a fretless Dean Performer ABG last Friday. WOW! what a cool, fun and great sounding bass. Anybody have any bad experiences with these? I'm thisclose to going down to the store and buying it. Thanks!

2. I haven't seen or played the Dean ABG, but I will offer one word of information. ABG's aren't as loud as you might think. I have one and I'm easily drowned out by someone else playing a 6 string acoustic. I'm not saying this to talk you out of an ABG, instead I just don't want you to be disappointed. Other than that, ABGs are great! Plus, it's fun to hear comments from others when they see the size and ask, "How do you play that thing? It's so big!"

Paul Mac

3. SurfBass

SurfBass

Feb 20, 2006
    pcollin, I am interested in the Dean performer fretless. none around here to test. Can you tell me how the side position marks are placed on that bass?. I have Fender A/E thinline fretless bass and is has the position dots placed where the actual note is to be played but most fretless basses I see now days have the location dots offset as if it were fretted bass. I get all confused when I pick up a fretless bass that has all those lines and dots as if it were fretted. So what I would like to know is do the side positions markers/dot fall at the fret positions, not between like on fretted necks? Warmoth guitars site has a good illustration of what I am talking about .. thanks Ben
    fretless_1.jpg

4. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    Yeah, that kind of threw me too! If I do get this AGB, it would be my first fretless and I thought it would be good to learn on. When I picked it up and played some familiar runs it was all off and took a little bit of getting used to. I haven't decided for sure yet if I'm getting it. It is a nice bass though.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Dean Performer is a nice bass!