Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loving my Phil Jones rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smperry, Sep 15, 2005.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I just got this on Monday. It's much heavier than my old rig (weighs about the same as me), but I'm loving it! I don't think it is as loud as my previous rig, but it's such a detailed sound...and since I quit my band a couple weeks ago, I don't need to get super loud. [edit: actually, it's plenty loud - I've been playing with the input level much lower than it should be.] I don't get how some people don't get warm bass on this rig, I was playing at a fairly low volume with the pjb eq off and had the house rattling. I may have to cut some of the ultra lows in fact. The mids and highs are so natural, and like I've already said, detailed...now I have to clean up my technique!

Between the Phil Jones Bass rig and my Ritter Classic 5, I have no excuses!

I know the rules, quick snapshots below...

Attached Files:

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    thats a super sweet rig

i've always wanted to give one of those a try

congrats!

3. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks!

And if you're ever in northern California and want to check one out, let me know!

Marshall

4. The Phil Jones stuff is not really my thing... but man is that rig cool looking or what! Congrats!

5. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I'm jealous

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I may have left some drool stains on it when I saw it in Juan's shop. I think that is a really cool amp. You, my friend, just entered the Killer Rig Zone!

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow Marshall....Ritter and Phil Jones. Very, very nice. I love the looks of that PJ rig.

-Mike

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You seriously have to shut up about your Phil Jones rig.

Its killin' me....

If you decide to sell, drop me a PM.

9. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    And if you decide to give away the Ritter, PM me :rolleyes:

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Nice man. The PJB brief case thing intrigues me. Congrats on the rig. If i had th money......i'd have a lot more gear than i have now and one those would be included in it.

That's all

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Whered you get that from? I was thinking of trying out that amp at Juans when I go looking for a new cab in October. Maybe its gone now? :D

12. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yep, it's gone now. :D Juan does still have a big PJB rig there, which I didn't bother looking at. With all the amps (aguilar, schroeder, bergantino, etc) and basses (ritter, sadowsky, nordstrand, benavente, skjold...) at http://basses-electric-acoustic.com it's definitely worth the trip. I got great deals from Juan on both my bass last year, and my rig this week.

Thanks everyone...and don't hold your breath waiting to see this in the For Sale forum...

Marshall

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I got a bass from him and got my head in a transaction using his shop. I plan to go get a new cab sometime late next moth from him. Its a great little shop.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Fair enough. Just leave the Ritter as your avatar. :)

-Mike

15. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Will do Mike. :) Although I do like the picture with the blue light...kinda looks like a souped up r2d2.

Marshall

16. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
  17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I can vouch for the seller. He's a long time friend of mine and an upright guy. I've heard this rig...sounds great.

I'd think about it, and was on my way to calling him, but I'm struggling to concentrate on my new custom bass.

18. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Wow! Awesome rig! How do those 5" drivers sound? But Can they stack up to the low end on a 15" or 18"? I imagine the attack must be incrediblly fast!

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    They can stand up to a 15.

I've heard that eBay PJB, and there's this subtle almost sub-bass that comes through. It is punchy too.

20. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    They sound really good! :D There's a good amount of low end; once you get the hang of the controls, you can easily add some extra bass in with the eq. The attack is as fast or faster than anything I've played through...it's super responsive - which means all flubs come out too. Clean, clean, clean...not what everyone is looking for but a perfect fit for me!

Marshall