Loving The New Tony Franklin P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by verbass, Mar 12, 2006.

1. verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Hey Guys I don't usually like a signature model except the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass but I may have found anothe Fender Signature I like Almost as Much . I just brought Home my Tony Franklin P-Bass and I am Floored the tones are quite tasty and the neck plays like Butter . Check one out when you get a chance I love mine. :bassist:

2. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    ive been looking at those since they were announced. i'm not even a Tony Franklin fan, but that bass!

Got any pics?

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Is the fingerboard Ebony?
    and does it come with rounds? Or flats? I think rounds would sound incredible!

4. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    I've been itching to get one since they came out. I'm going to order one this week.

Can you post some pics for me to drool on?
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Yes and yes. Tony's sound is most certainly a roundwound fretless tone, of which I crave. :D
  6. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
  7. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Damn video. Now I want one. Of course, I would love to play like he does as well.

Someone turned the G.A.S. up...
  8. Cranberry Juice

Cranberry Juice

Mar 1, 2006
    The video reminds me of hansel from zoolander. I love the sound of that thing though!!!
  9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Wow! Killer tone on that thing! And Tony is a mofo on the fretless. Enjoy!

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm sure that Tony Franklin P is a heck of a bass. Too bad I can't rent Tony to play it for me. That said, my current favorite fretless is the fretless Corvette.:smug:
  11. :cool: I'd love to try one of these. If for no other reason than to see how it and my '95 fretles P (P/J'd) compare to each other. I really do like my '95. I don't use steel rounds on it though, I use the Fender filament wound rounds.
  12. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    That's funny when they offer the "media type" in different speed.. but there's no way to see it in quicktime.. they offer it.. but this is not available.. wow

By the way.. Anyone have news of the Pino Palladino model??
  13. Man, I gotta shed on my fretless. Geeze.

14. The same thing happenned to me!!!:crying: :crying:
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  16. verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Beem I spent 1100 bucks on mine the fit and finish are great and I got rid of my Thumb to get it I don't miss the Warwick and I have gone a little further in my fretless playing the bass sounds awesome through my SWR Rig I also have a GK / Hartke set up that is giving me a great sound with this bass. I think if you are going to spend 900 bucks on a MIA P bass Then spend more on the upgrades like the extra pup and the Fretless neck plus theHipshot you could spend about 1200 easy so why not get in one package. By the way Tony Franklin was the reason I picked up the Fretless to begin with Back in 85 . Underreted player, good tosee him getting his due.:bassist:
  17. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
  18. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I think the the strings are light and the action looks very spongy and supple. The bass looks like a lot of fun to play. I also like the pickup selector knife switch. Fast pickup changes. Looks like a winner to me!

Glad this video was a hit with you guys. I was quite surprised because I wasn't really hip to Tony before I found this video. A few weeks later, Fender released his sig bass. I actually found it looking for loops for garageband.

I dig Tony's vibe. Seems like a great guy beside being a burner. The alternate tuning he uses in one segment is quite cool. He's obviously very musical.

BTW- someone quoted $1200 for that bass. Is that right? Seems fair, same price as a MIA Jazz, Ebony board and jazz bridge PU.
  19. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005