1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loving this little amp! Roland DB-500 fans?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j_nition, May 1, 2010.

1. j_nition

j_nition

Jul 28, 2009
    Just want to share a little bit about how happy I am with this mid sized 1x12/horn combo. For 160 watts, I've been very impressed with how it has treated me for both practice and my stand alone stage amp with PA support for playing at church.

I've been running it on the tube channel with the gain at about 5:00, volume at 10:00, Master Volume to taste, EQ just about flat, and relying on my Sansamp Bassdriver Programmable for everything else in tone shaping and utilizing the Direct out for the sound guy to get a clean signal for the house mix during live sets.

One question I have run into though is the manual says that there is a green and red indicator light labeled "Power Injection" that apparently is supposed to monitor the "power boosting effects of DSP"
    I've ran this amp at every setting and at every volume level including diming the master and have yet to see this light come on. What exactly is this power injection about and could I maybe just have a faulty LED?

2. j_nition

j_nition

Jul 28, 2009
    anyone?

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I liked that amp when it first came out. Great sound and adequate power for small rooms. I seriously considered buying one after demoing one for almost an hour in a music store. The only reason I didn't was the weight and the difficulty carrying it by its handle. The cooling fins on the back dug into my leg with every step. I liked the modelling too and there was one setting I discovered that I could save and recall easily that made my P bass sound just like it had been recorded in a top studio and played by a L.A. session musician. The price was a bit high I thought also.

The higher powered 15" model that came soon after sounded even better but was even more difficult to carry.

As long as you aren't bothered by any of that you should love yours. Myself, I wouldn't bother with the Sansamp. I own one also but found that with the Roland I didn't need it and could get a great sound with the amp's eq alone and judicious use of the overdrive function. In fact, I seldom use my Sansamp these days since the gear I've been buying lately sounds so much better than a few years ago. But, all that aside-it sounds like a perfect match for you. Very nice amp.

I don't know what is up with that light not working. Check through the owner's manual and see if there's something you missed. If not, a good tech should find the reason why. Are you sure you really cranked the amp really loud to where you had the power amp going into clipping? I think that's what the power injection feature is all about preventing. I can't recall the exact blurb from the manual about it. You just might not have played the amp loud enough for this to kick in. That's a good thing and means that you should have adequate power for your needs.

Enjoy your amp. It's a nice one.

4. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I have the DB 700 and have been using it for years. My led light comes on frequently, both colors, so I would have it checked out. It is a bit heavy, but mine is on casters, so it's not that bad.

5. awall

awall

Oct 30, 2006
    I have been using mine for over 6 years now. It's the loudest 160 watts I have ever heard. Great tone, runs quiet, but weighs nearly 70 pounds. That's pretty heavy to carry around with one hand. The LED on mine flashes all the time from green to orange to red. I've played a few gigs with it and it works fine sound wise. I just like to have something bigger behind me, so I usually take the big guns. I think 2 of these would be awesome.
    Al

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Roland used to and may still, sell a powered cabinet that will run off the DB500. I think it was around 300 watts. Otherwise you could use a power amp minus preamp and another cabinet.

7. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Roland does make a powered 115/tweeter cab that is 300 watts. If you have one of the newer Dbass combos, it will fit right on top of it. The older DB combos won't, but you can still use it with them.

8. j_nition

j_nition

Jul 28, 2009
    thanks guys...I'm getting the feeling that its the LED that went dead since this little guy sounds great.

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I just aquired one of these in an equipment buy.
    I did see that LED come on once (orange), but I'm not sure what I did to make it do so. The manual is not really clear.

I'm probably going to sell it, but I must admit, this is a big 160 watts with a lot of features.

I may keep it as a rehearsal amp. It would work nicely in my guitarist's studio where we rehearse just to leave it there.

10. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I have a question. A bandmate of mine has one of these amps. It doesn't work, and is in pretty rough shape. I don't think he drove it hard, but it's just old from neglect. Anyways, it was sitting in a corner of the rehersal space. I asked him what he was doing with it. He shrugged and offered it to me for free.

Would I be a fool to not take it and get it repaired?
    He removed the covering after his cat clawed it. I'm thinking about recovering it on orange tolex. and having the grill and metal hardware powder coated black.

I currently own a SWR Workingman's 10, but it struggles at volume. The Roland maybe my answer to coffee house / accoustic gigs.

11. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Is it completely dead, like when you turn it on, nothing happens, no lights, etc? I have an authorized Roland tech guy near me, and the only thing that has ever gone wrong with mine in 10 years is bad solder joints. But, it always powered up. If yours does'nt, it might be something more serious, and more expensive to fix. OTOH, you are getting it for free, so it might be worth taking it to a tech and getting an estimate.

12. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    It powers up, but after a while it loses signal and begins to buzz. I talked to a tech at a shop near me. She also said a solder joint may be the issue. She thinks the complete repair may cost anywhere from 80-200 to fix.

13. If that's the case I would go for it. They're great little amps, and if your current amp isn't doing it for you it would be a great way to go.

I had a DB700 that I loved but was unfortunately stolen. I replaced it w another Roland (D Bass 210). The only problem I ever had w the DB700 was when I blew out the speaker, which was a simple fix. These things are pretty solid all around