Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

low action basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clouddead, Nov 6, 2003.

1. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    what 5 string has a tight b string and has very very low action. i cant stand my ibanez sr-405, meh. looking for 1500 dollar basses and up.

2. Stingray5 has pretty low action. Good slap bass.

3. Try to get your hands on a Dingwall Afterburner to check out, it fits your description and is worth a look.

Geoff

4. You don't have to spend $1,500 to get a 5-string that can give you low action. I believe a Reverend 5L or Brad Houser sig would give you the low action you desire. My Reverend can get pretty low action, but I rose the string height when I started plucking more aggressively. The string height is still lower on my Rev than it is on my Yamaha.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Action is adjustable on virtually any bass you know!! That's why they have those bridge saddles and truss rods!! ;)

6. Exactly, which narrows clouddead search to primarily a bass with a *tight* B-string.

Those bottom-line Iba's are indeed very annoying to play. They *can* sound fairly ok, but it's hard work getting to get them to deliver.

As I've mostly played 4s, I can't really say anything about particular basses to try.
    I'd suggest looking for a long scale 5er, though. 35" at the least, they are usually a lot tighter.

EZ

7. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Of course you can adjust the action on any bass to get low action, but if you are looking for a bass with incredibly low action and a very stable neck, check out Status Graphite basses.

My 5 string Stealth has action so low that I'm sure many people would find it *too* low, but each string is only 1-2mm above the fret at the 24th fret without buzzing and the neck doesn't budge. :) It's also spoiled me because any other basses I pick up are almost difficult to play!

Although my '98 Sadowsky 5-string was able to get amazingly low action as well, and had *very* little neck movement during the crazy weather changes here in Boston.

8. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA

But why? I remember reading other posts/threads where this was not the conclusion-- if a given peice of string has to be brought up to a certain pitch, a longer distance for the string to stretch won't mean that it gets 'tighter'. Or does it? Or is it that its somehow easier to build tighter Bs with a longer scale?

9. The string on a longer scale will be tighter with the same guage of string (more tension). Whether it sounds better is another issue.

Geoff

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Try a Modulus Quantum 5 if you want a tight B string. But with the graphite neck/fretboard, you better have good technique to set it up with super low action. Another one to check out would be a Peavey Cirrus 5. Very nice B string and capable of low action with good results(mine was set up very low).

11. Roscoe basses have great action and one of the best B string's have ever played. on the cheaper side I have a Peavey Cirrus that has real low action and a very nice B. Benavente basses are great, there is a good variety of them. F basses are real sweet too. I would think that any custom shop bass will have great action a B string tension.

12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I second the Roscoe. I own two of them, and have two more on order. My LG-3005 has one of the best B strings I've ever heard, bar none. Tight would be inadequate to describe how excellent it sounds. (btw, Roscoe uses a 35" scale)

The other thing I can suggest is, check out an F bass. The "new" BN5 (the one with the reversed headstock) is an absolutely superb bass. The string balance is perfect. I'll note, however, that IMHO those Labella strings that come stock with that bass are just horrible (among the worst strings I've ever played), currently I have D'Addario EXL-170XL (super long) on there and they work fine, and also I've had good results with Ken Smith Rock Master Medium's. The F bass uses a 34.5" scale, which is very comfortable to play, but still gives you the sustain and growl of a 35" B. My F bass gets more playing time than all my other basses put together.

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ditto

my warwick is just fine with a .130 rock master