1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low action Gut Setup

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Ian Votaw, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Ian Votaw

Ian Votaw

Oct 16, 2015
    Dallas Texas
    Im trying to get a super low action setup with Gut strings, Im currently using Aimas but am having trouble with the G string Buzzing, Wondering if I should change to a lighter gauge. Maybe the light gauge Garbos? Or just changing the G. going for a Scott LaFaro sound.

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Gut strings need some room to move in my experience. I would suggest higher tension gut if you wanna lower the action.

3. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    The deal with gut strings is excursion... they are much more elastic than steel or most synthetics and require room to move. The bass set-up including fingerboard scoop is critical to reducing rattle.

4. Ian Votaw

Ian Votaw

Oct 16, 2015
    Dallas Texas
    I was using Compass Blues for a while but after switching to a higher gauge/tension string the buzz got way worse so im guessing its due to gauge rather than tension.

5. JeffKissell

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    Optimally you want the bass set up for the strings you're using and your style of playing. A generic setup may not bring out the best in a particular string set.

6. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Low action is not a gut setup.

Reiska, JeffKissell and KUNGfuSHERIFF like this.
  7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    First off, neither of these sets are guts, unless you're using a real gut G string. The Animas are thicker than the Blues, I believe, so if you don't raise the bridge, they may have a greater likelihood of hitting the fingerboard and buzzing. You may need bridge or fingerboard work to get to where you want to go. And I'm pretty sure La Faro would have had the La Faro sound no matter the strings he used.

8. Unless you are Scott Lafaro :)

9. Reiska

Reiska Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi, from string perspective my wild quess is that only strings that would work with low action are Eudoxas, or Eudoxa EA Oliv DG. I don`t see no point in going low with guts or Anima / Garbo. You just loose the beauty they have to offer, without getting anything but quiet tone with difficulties of playability in exchange, trying to control rattling noodles. You don`t have to go necessarily high action either, on my bass Velvets work with 6-7-ish mm`s under the G just fine, and lowest I go with anything plain gut is G 8 mm`s.

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  10. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    Yes, but his sound and approach with Victor Feldman and higher action was quite different than the later lower action setup with Bill Evans.

Ian Votaw and wathaet like this.
  11. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    One thing that can help a bit is controlling the direction of the strings vibration which is elliptical. This is easier to do arco, but it might work for you.

12. An important factor to consider is that in those days, low action was anything less than an inch over the end of the board.

I used to own a bass that was last set up during the Big Band era. You could fit your hand under the strings, but it projected like crazy, as one had to do in the days before Everett Hull’s brilliant idea.

13. JLubinsky-Mast

JLubinsky-Mast Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Vancouver BC
    Before I open my mouth I will state, I have done no real research into the matter.

But, listening to Scott LaFaro, it doesn't sound like his action is really "that" low. It may have been lower by the standards of the era he was from, when people were still competing in big bands with no amplification.
    I have a feeling that his action probably wasn't as low as people's are today. I recall reading something where Charlie Haden said he was physically quite a strong man.

Apologies, if this is a "thread hijack"

14. JeffKissell

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    When I had gut strings on my bass, they measured 6/7(ish) to 9/10(ish) at the end of the fingerboard. I'm sure that was considered pretty low back in the day.
    Good acoustic projection (louder than most any other bass in my community) and decent facility in TP.

FWIW, the Spiro solos currently on this bass are at 6-9mm.
    -J

15. Reiska

Reiska Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    I have medium gauge guts on top of 4/4 solo Spiros, G at 9mm`s, D 11mm`s, A and E 11,5mm`s. I really don`t know but this might be close to what late La Faro used. Ray Brown liked and used low action, and I remember him saying somewhere that his gauge with guts was to be able to slide his pinky under the G, no higher than that.

16. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    But were the strings the same?

Sam Dingle likes this.
  17. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    I have no idea. But I think it was the same bass.