1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low and cheap DIY

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lowactnsatsfctn, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Threw this together this afternoon. Still waiting on kick back casters and a corner handle. I'll glue in the strips for the grill tomorrow, then go over it with some filler and my belt sander.
    Gonna hold off on the paint till I decide if its getting a mid driver or not.

Came out to be 14x15x34 and 43 pounds loaded according to my luggage scale. About the perfect height to access my amp from, and a very manageable weight for me.

Started to brace it before I put my center divider in, but I caught it before I got too far.
    IMG-20130322-00521.

Had to roll it in the house for a quick test run:bassist:
    IMG-20130322-00524.

Entire cost, including hardware and covering is under $150. Not bad IMO, Thanks to my brothers almost endless supply of plywood:D

The verdict, an MB500 will make it fart out if pushed, but it definitely goes Low, and is loud enough for its purpose.

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    So its a 210? What drivers are those?

DIY is cool therefore so are you. :)

3. Its loaded with Eminence BP102's and probably one of the biggest 210s ever:D
    WinISD says it should take about 200watts and be pretty flat down to 53Hz with an F3 of 41Hz.:eek:

Its a pretty dark sounding cab, but with the dip in the mids and tamed top end those drivers have, I think it will work great in the Acoustic/ish setting I'll use it for.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Now that's making the BP102's run deep like they're made to.

Hint: If you do choose to add a mid, a single alpha6 runs pretty smooth to about 5khz, is almost a dead-on spl match for the pair of them and is only about $40. Would have to work up a 4ohm low side / 8 ohm high side crossover. Wouldn't really need to be more than 12db/oct.

Nice cab. Always like seeing folks DIY ideas.

5. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    That's a bang/buck winner for sure.

6. Thanks for the comments, and to Will for the heads up on an A6. My original plan was to put one in the top corner, But after hearing this thing, Im gonna stick with just the 10's for a while.
    If it was meant to be a more versatile cab, I would throw a mid in it, and still may down the road. But for going under a cajon, and a bright acoustic, it should be perfect.

Looking back, I kinda wished I didn't use any staples. It would be a good looking cab with a dark stain and fit the setting a little better Than Black Duratex as originally planed.

A better shot of how its braced. ( before I spread the run out urethane)
    IMG-20130323-00526.

I got to open it up this morning after I glued in the grill stays.
    IMG-20130323-00531.

It sounded deep with the MB500, but when I put the Eden pre in the chain:hyper:.... YES!!! that's where it shines.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Are you going to line the cabinet?

8. Most likely. I have a queen size mattress topper stashed away that I bought on close out for 7 buck:)

Im waiting till I cut it for hardware (corner casters and top handle) before I line it. It will also get 1/4" deep by 1" diameter recesses in the top for my amps feet to sit in. Its hard to clean the sawdust out the other way around. With the Mid range and treble being so tamed, Im not sure how much it will benefit from lining, but we'll find out.

9. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    If the topper foam isn't porous [you can't blow air through easily like through a T-shirt] then don't use it - use something else like a thin layer of un-faced [no paper or foil] fiberglass or recycled denim [Ultratouch] insulation.

10. Its an open cell foam that I've used before with good results.

11. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    no kidding right;) cool man what is that around 1.5 per driver
    or 3 cube total, should rock purdy good.
    I like the low Fs of the 102's

well you know me and golden ratios, its a little tall.
    but hey got to be to not break to many rules with baffle diffraction and all.

i must say i was inspired a little and seen a way to balance it out, just mirror the baffle and build another one, and then you could set them up crossfire style, since vertical stack would be a little high.

heck at this rate you should be done way before me;)

Attached Files:

12. Should be 1.53 per driver If my math works.

Id imagine it to be a little tall for most people, but I'm 6'5. It had to follow a different set of rules than what cabs normally go by. After all, it is a custom build.:D

1) Big enough to go low and sound good
    2) Make my amp accessible with out me leaning over.
    3) Handle at least 50% of the manufacturer's wattage claim
    4) Be tall enough to roll with out me leaning over.
    5) Be tuned with 3" ports ( I already had a few in stock)

Being cheap was just a bonus. Im Pretty much in love with this cab already. Its not the loudest, but Its not meant to be. The cab is 4ohms ( 2-8's parallel) So another one wouldn't do me much good, Unless I rigged up a series speaker cable.

Should be coated Tuesday morning, so I can use it Thursday night

13. Filled the staple holes, and got 2 coats of paint on it before I left this morning.
    IMG-20130325-00548.
    Sounds slightly better now its black:D
    Still waiting on hardware and motivation to get some duratex on it tonight.

14. After laying the weather strip to silence the grill rattles.

The lath screws got exchanged for black ones. Its easy to scratch them up, but if you run a screw in a piloted hole, it minimizes the chances.
    Dry wall screws used for the woofers got replaced with T-nuts (epoxied in place) and 8-32 x1" machine screws.

The grill is 16gauge by 1" pattern expanded metal and was sprayed with Black Plasti-dip. Comes in right at 2 pounds according to the scale. Not bad for the amount of protection it offers, And we had some left over from a project.

IMG-20130327-00555.

Back were it belongs, and just in time to use it Thursday night:bassist:
    IMG-20130327-00562.