1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

Low B .128 Going to .130 guage???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 27, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

will i get much of a diff going from a .128 Low B to a .130??? its for both my 34" scale and 35" scale basses.

just curious.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I truly doubt that the 2 thousandths, by themselves, will make any appreciable difference. However, if you're switching to a different brand of strings, all bets are off.

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    probably not a huge amount, though if the tension changes, it may shift where resonant hotspots are... probably not that small of a difference though...

And don't fall for the notion that fatter Bs are neccesarily better. I switched from a 130 to a 125 and it made a huge improvement to the tone on the string... Both were Bass Centre Elites Flatwounds...

cheers

steve
    www.stevelawson.net