Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low B-2/QSC 2402

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by D. Matthews, May 7, 2001.

1. D. Matthews

D. Matthews

Apr 16, 2001
    Canada
    Hi,
    I'm new to posting, although I've been lurking for some time, and I wanted to say how great I think Talkbass.com is and how cool everyone for John Turner (and his amazing "one string bass"- funny photo) to Bob G. and his doghouse really are. The Brotherhood of Bass......I love it! Thanks Paul for this site.

Anyway, I've got a question for anyone using a QSC PLX 2402 with one or two Acme Low B-2 II. How hard have you been able to safely push your cabs? My Low B-2's are 4ohms, and I run one side of the amp to one cab(700 watts). I have only needed to use one cab at a time on the gigs I have had since I got the Low B-2's last Dec. Usually the amp's lights are on the 1st and sometimes 2nd level on the meter when I'm playing fingerstyle. On an outdoor job this past Saturday, I started slapping and the clip light came on ever so slightly(on the pops). Am I safe doing this? Can they handle 700 watts peak? Can I push a little harder? Also, I was wondering if I would see the light bulb on the crossover light up if the mid and tweeter were getting too much juice before they blew?
    Any feedback you can provide is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Doug Matthews

2. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I run an SWR SM400s into a 4 ohm B2.The amp puts out 500 watts @4 ohms,and I have gotten that light bulb to glow on more than one occasion while slapping,but never had any tweeter/midrange damage.However,the SWR has a limiter which I always have engaged whenever I need to have the master volume above 5.I have spoken to Andy Lewis more than once,and he recommends 500 watts for the B2,so perhaps you want to consider a limiter in your chain to play it safe.

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    P.S.: I forgot to mention that the light bulb's function is to protect the tweeter;if the voltage goes above the bulb's rating (12v,it's an automotive bulb),the bulb will blow instead of your tweeter.However,you don't want that to happen (I speak from experience) because it's a bona fide PITA to get at the bulb,you gotta take off the grille and take the top woofer out.

4. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    D. Matthews,

michael n was at one time using the exact same power amp/speaker setup as you. He also voiced some concerns about volume issues when playing outdoors.

I haven't seen him posting in a while, but if you do a member search you may find his E-mail address in Member Poifile.

By the way, what preamp do use?

Bob

5. D. Matthews

D. Matthews

Apr 16, 2001
    Canada
    Bob C,
    I have an Aguilar DB 680 which I love very much.

6. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Doug,

I had the same exact rig, with a Kern preamp. The Acmes would light up the 2nd LEDs on the power meter, and hit the 0 db level on peaks. I'd never run it into clipping, though. So to answer your question, if you are into the red zone, you should probably get another pair of Acmes, or something else. I was tickled pink when I got the Bag Ends and the power meter never went beyond idle when driving them the same loudness as the Acmes!

Nightbass, now using Epifani

7. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Nightbass,

So why did you switch from Bag End to Epifani? (I've been considering all three [includinf Acme] - haven't made up my mind yet).

Bob

8. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The regular (non-ELF) Bag Ends really don't have a big low end, which is fine for 90% of stage applications since you don't get into trouble with boominess. Bag End doesn't make a big deal out of specs and going down to 30 Hz, they just sound good and play loud. But I prefer warmer cabs with a lot of low end extension, and the Epifanis are the best of all worlds - efficient, low, and loud. They go as low as Acmes but play a lot louder, and they handle frightening amounts of power that would send an Acme up in a puff of smoke. I once bridged 1800 watts into an Epifani T-310, and it was a religious experience...

The Epifanis also sound wonderful at low volumes, too.