Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low B? Bass, String, PkUp or all three?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phil Smith, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    There's been plently of talk of this B being better than that B on this instrument blah, blah, blah. Does the difference lie soley in the bass, the string, the pickups or is it a combination of these things? For example would that solid and even B, be less solid and even on bass D rather than bass C?

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I think neck joint also factors into the equation. I would think tone would transfer better (and the tone won't choke) on a bass with a tighter neck joint than on one with a looser or less careful neck joint.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Construction, construction, construction.

It's the stiffness of the neck, the strength of the neck joint and the scale length. Some 34's can feel good, while many like 35 or more. Mine has a 37. String tension obviously can effect the tightness too, but it seems like if you've got the other factors in place to start, then you don't have to string extra heavy.

4. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Scale
    Construction
    Woods
    Design
    ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

5. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps
    my gary willis is a refuting example to the construction argument...a two piece maple neck at 34" and it's one of the tightest rightest B's on the market...

6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    A two piece neck can be a stiff one...if it's done right, which I'm sure it is. If the grain of the pieces run in different directions or if it's really good flatsawn or quartersawn.

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    My neck is of the 9 piece design and graphite reinforced. I think it's even stiffer than my Moses graphite neck, though not as "live". All the factors listed above play a big part in the quality of low note production. I think everything has to work well together or "no deal". IMO, any one of these factors CANNOT insure a great B, any one of them CAN lead to a poor one, however.

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Lowphat, are you talking about your Prima? What are the wood/build details of it?

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yes I am Burnski. The bolt-on neck is made from 9 pieces if hard maple, the fingerboard is rosewood, or maybe FP, you know I never really thought about it, well it's BROWN. The body is walnut sandwiched in maple. As far as the build quality, I am convinced that someone will be making music with this bass long after I am gone, and I am only 33!!

10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Get the string brand into the ecuation too, i have had some bad experiences with warwicks LowB strings (actually their whole black label set sounded awful and dampened IMO).

Ritter sets some of his 5/+ strings 34" with .125 lowB's and those sound amazingly tight.

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Cool. Mine's a 5 piece neck. Haven't solved that neck seam issue though... But the neck hasn't moved beyond that.

12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea, strings are key. There's nothing worse than getting a dead string, any string!! Because I'm not an ultra anal "wiper downer" I usually go with good mid grade strings on my basses, I just don't play most of my basses enough to warrant $50+ a set. I have never strung my Dingwall with anything else but Dingwall strings mainly out of neccesity at first, needless to say I haven't had a problem yet and have probably been through 40 or 50 sets at least, maybe more.

13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Neck seam issue? Can you tell me more?? Feel free to PM me if you want also Burnski!!

14. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Ok, this may sound really dumb and maybe a litle disrespectful, but none of that intended:

I think the player has a fair influence on how big or tight a low B is/seems. I have had my sixer for a year now and when I first got it all I had was a 4 and I thought the B string was flabby and weak. A year later with some better strings and a bit of experience, this thing canes. The B has a massive sound and the tension doesn't bother me. I can coax so much out this wonderful instrument thanks to experience. That aside I think construction has some play in the low B, pickups and eqing can have influence, and my experience has told me that as far as feel goes, string guage. If you aren't happy with your low B, get a fatter one. Or go spend a few more thousand dollars with something else you might be unhappy with. But yes, practice has shown me that "feel" and "sound" of a low B can be dealt with and overcome. I thin kit takes time to grow into an instrument and vice versa. These days I don't really expect to find exactly what I am looking for first go without a little time with said instrument/car/woman/band in question. Anyway, that's my 2 cents I hope no one got pissed off or rubbed sideways.

15. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    A lot of you have mentioned neck joint, is that factor eliminated when you have a neck thru design? How important would you say the string is?