1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low B Blues!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MikeLindgren, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Hey, I could use a hand here. I got a great deal on an Ibanez 5-string, and the Low B sounds a tad bit weak. There is a noticble volume difference between the B and the other four strings, in that, the Low B is quite a bit quieter. Is there anything I can do, regarding adjustments to the guitar that could fix this annoying issue. Slapping is the only thing that will get some balls in that B, and I play mostly fingerstyle.

Is this a common problem? HELP! :crying:

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    How high is the action on the low B string? I've noticed that some people seem to set up basses with the E higher than the A, and the B higher than the E, while other people set up the strings to follow the radius of the fret board which can actually have the saddle on your B string lower than that of your E string. (that's what I like to do) So, if that B string is really high, maybe you could lower it - that would increase the out put on the B string. If that's not the problem, then maybe you could raise the p/u on the bass side. If the strings are set up right, and the pick ups are set up right, and you still have a weak B string, then I'd try new strings. If those three things don't fix it - it might be time for a pro set up. (although I'm sure there will be plenty of other suggestions posted in this thread for you to try) Good luck!