1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low B boost

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MostlyBass, Jan 24, 2012.

1. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I have a Markbass Mini CMD 121P 1x12 Combo Amp which I really like... well maybe not the tweeter.. but it's loud, easy to carry and sounds really great with my Ibanez SoundGear 5 string... I'm considering adding a cabinet and wondered what would be best for my low B. I feel the highs come through fine with the 12" and the house PA.. but I need more punch on the low low end - so... A 15? 2 or 4x10? More 12s? This is my first bass amp with a 12" speaker and I'm rather impressed with it.. back in the early 90s I was using a Peavey 1x15.... and then more recently a GK head with a Behringer 2x10 cab (that combination SUCKED)...

Thanks!

Pete
    MostlyBass.com | …for educators, bassists, enthusiasts, & parents – information on teaching, playing, learning, maintenance, technique, construction, and more.

2. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'd go more Markbass 12"'s, alot of information on TB suggests not to mix speakers but I dont know much from my own experience.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    As always, it's safest for you to match your second cabinet to the first. So a MarkBass 12" extension should be just the ticket.

4. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I was thinking of another 12 but not because of matching... I hadn't heard of keeping things similar... I always had a vision of an 18, a 15 and a 4x10 but the 30 seat club may frown on that....

5. Might look cool.................but wrong on many levels - even if in a stadium.

6. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I'm a classically trained bassist so although I've always dabbled with electric, I'm finally learning a lot about gettings sounds... either through trial and error or here on the forums... I'm just glad equipment is so much lighter than it used to be....