Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low-B/Cabinet recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Allright TBer's, I've done some searches and I've read some really good things about Schroeder & Acme cabs. I've asked a few questions on the 'Schroeder Megathread', but I'm now also interested in the Acme B-4 cab. Feel free to recommend Bergs, EA's, etc.
    What I'm looking for is a single cabinet that can:

1. Handle my Roscoe's B-string with ease.
    2. Has a great midrangey tone that can cut through the mix.
    3. Is loud (Huh??)
    4. Does'nt require that I replace my QSC PLX2402 to a more powerful amp to run efficiently.
    5. Doesn't weigh over 95 Lbs, something I can easily move by myself.

Schroeder's 410 cab and the other 'big box' that utilizes a 12" along with 10"s (sorry, I don't remember the model number) both look interesting.

Acme's B-4 is affordable, and their claim of 'flat response' is also of interest to me. Plus, the Acme weighs less that 80 lbs. The one downside I've read about Acme is that they're 'power-hungry'. Question: Running my PLX2402 in bridge-mono @ 8 ohms, I'd have 1500 watts RMS. Would 1500 watts run the Acme to it's fullest potential?
    I've also read here that bridge-mono mode shortens the lifespan of the amplifier-is this true?

Sorry, I'm sure this is a 'Been asked a gillion times question', but I'd really appreciate the input.

Thanks, -A.P.

2. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I actually have a Series I Low B4 that I'll be selling shortly... it was originally mine, was sold here locally and then was sold again... and wouldn't you know it... she's found her way back to me again (as the result of a trade, no less!) :smug:

Now back when she was new, this B4 (8 ohms) was powered by 700 watts from a GK 2000RB, and word got around the local bassist community that I had somehow obtained "GOD'S BASS RIG"! It will handle your low B superbly... they don't call these things "Low B's" for nothing! When I played through mine, the local low-enders started coming round to see this wonderous new speaker box that rattled rafters and shook windows with ease!" :cool: {I guess you could call that a kind of endorsement by my fellow bassists. :) }

You mention weight as a big factor... I'll admit to that having been one of the considerations when I first became aware of the Acmes... that and the fact that one 8 ohm box could handle 700 watts!

I will say that you must be very sure that an Acme is what you want, because it is a very 'pure and uncolored' sound... something not every bassist is prepared to work with. I found that the best results were obtained with gobs of volume and NO eq. That gives your fingers all the control. It ends up being a "power trip" in the best sense. :bassist:

I even spoke to "Mr. Acme", Andy Lewis about this cab... and I can go one of two routes when I sell this box; I can sell it "as is", and ship it to Andy for the necessary repairs. The buyer will then send him the fees and Andy will then ship it to the new owner. OR... I can get it repaired first and then sell it oncet-and-ferallit!

I'll actually decide what I'm gonna do in a few days.

As for me, I'm sticking with a pair of Acme Low B2's! :D

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    is there any question? ;)

no idea about the "shortening life" part, but your PLX will have MORE than enough power for the B-4 to reach full potential. my iAMP-800 is enough juice.

also, the key in opening up the possiblities of the Acme is to use a really flexible EQ. while most guys get away with a simple 3 band, my iAMP or DB680 is the only EQ i'll use with my B-4.

call up andy, have him send you one for eval, and give it a few days to properly break in. once it does, LOOK OUT! :eek: you'll realize that while most cabs allow you to hear your Low B, you'll suddenly understand what it is to actually "feel" the punch of your low B. its literally eye opening, and will spoil you for most any other cab.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you run bridge-mono at 4 Ohms, that means both channels will be run at 2 Ohms, yet it will cause even more strain on your amp than just running two 2 Ohm loads. however, many hi-end amps are designed to take much abuse and still last long.

The Acmes are said to be power-hungry because they are not all that efficient. They are under 100dB if I remember right...
    However, I have not yet tried neither of those - never had the chance here, as I havent seen any of those. Yet, I'm hoping to get a Schroeder 1210 sometime later...

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Another cab that would fit your bill (though cost you several more bills) is the Accugroove Whappo, Jr. I have one, and it's the real deal. Definitely a single cab solution, fairly efficient, very full, thick tone, but still very detailed and clear, and it only weighs about 74 lbs! Mine has the neo drivers.

That said, I can see where people like the ACME tone. I have a Low B-2, and it certainly is full and deep sounding. But at higher volumes, I find its low end somewhat difficult to control. EQ'd corrrectly, though, I am sure that it would rock. But then again, the Whappo, Jr. doesn't need much tweaking at all to sound killer at all volumes.

6. There's a thread somewhere in AMPS that I started...about bridging a PLX 3402 into two 8 ohm Acme B-4's. I asked the question before I bought the cabinets and the responses I got all led me in the Acme direction. I have since had the cabs for a few months and am still in love. Customer service was excellent, build quality is the best I've ever seen, and sound was phenomenal.

I bridge my amp into either 1 or 2 cabinets. Sometimes I feel that 2200 watts into one cab is too much, but 1700 into two cabinets (4 ohm load per speaker) is just right. The only problems I've had are when we're doing outdoor gigs and there's bad and/or inconsistent power. That's the amp, though, not the speakers.

To answer your questions:

1. Best B response of any cabinet I've ever tried. (Mesa, Genz, Trace, Ampeg, GK, SWR)
    2. A decent mid EQ on your Preamp (which pre?) will dial in any amount of mid you want. Add to that the extremely articulate midrange driver and tweeter, you've got a mid-heavy cabinet whenever you want it.
    3. My cabs get freakin loud...too loud.
    4. The PLX is one of the best matches for Acme. 1500 watts is perfect for it.
    5. Very easily moveable. Handles perfectly placed. If you find and read through the thread I started, I asked about putting wheels on the cabs. I emailed Andy, and he (a) just doesn't like casters, that's why they're not an option...and (b) said that I can put casters on with no problems. I put casters on and they're some of the most easily transported cabinets I've ever owned.

7. The El Whappo is 98lbs...

But certainly is the answer to all the questions.:bassist:

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool, tom

didnt know the Accu gents are using neo for their larger cabs, too.

btw, funny you mention that the acme sounds better to you low volume. most gents like myself think it opens up with the bigger volume. what preamp/head were you using?

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, at 74 lbs, the Neo Whappo, Jr. feels light as a feather, and is easy to move around. The same goes for the 55 lb Tri 210L. It's far lighter than it looks.

So far, I have used the ACME primarily with my WWU and iAMP 800. I did briefly (and at very low volume) drive it with my rack rig (Navigator=>PLX 3002). From what you and others have posted, though, I look forward to cranking it a bit with the rack rig and seeing how the Low B-2 responds to ridiculous amounts of headroom. :bassist:

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Andy from Acme responded to my email. He said my 2402's bridged power @ 8 ohms (1400 watts) would be plenty of juice.

I'm using a Read Custom Purity tube preamp. I'm very happy with it's eq. IMO it's very mid-friendly, even set flat.

I'll pm Bob Lee @ QSC to find out what his opinion is in regards to running the amp in bridge-mono. I believe my owner's manual has some advice about it, I'll try to locate it.

El Whappo: Thanks for mentioning it! Just today I found an old Bass Player mag where it was reviewed. The only thing that scares me is it's price, but the review showed retail cost, I'm going to find out what the street price of one is.

Thanks again, please feel free to post more info on this subject. :)
    -Art

11. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    My vote would be the berg 322, epi 212 (older) or berg nv425. I like the acme b4 tone but it just wont get loud enough for me, it might work for you though. If your looking to by used, Id say get bigjabo60's cab. honest person.

12. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Thanx inazone!

I "honestly" appreciate that comment! :D

13. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I bought a new B-4 to park in our church's sanctuary. It's finally broken in. Powered with one of those wonderful iAmp 800's it really delivers some low end power. One of the pastors shows up occaisionally to play five string and I sit near the cabinet. To feel the fluctuations in the air pressure around that rig is an experience! I haven't any experience with Accugroove cabinets but enjoy hearing them be described by their users. If you buy the used B-4 it will be ready to play loud. If you buy new, take the break-in seriously! The previously mentioned pastor creased the woofers in my B-2. His finger-style is more percussive & aggressive than mine and the speakers were not loosened up yet. If I were playing out, I'd get another 4-ohm B-2 so I could utilize the full 1 kilowatt from the iAmp or pair the B-2 with one of the cabinets that don't have the mid & tweeter. But that's me, I'm pushing 50 and prefer moving lighter equipment. And yes, I third the notion that you already have plenty of power & headroom for a B-4! Best of luck. Ken

14. I realize that this thread has been dormant for a short while but it seemed right to mention Acme again and the excellent support Andy Lewis provides for his product.

I was enjoying that slammin' B string on my new Wal just a little bit too much(!) and finally managed to take out one of my woofers. I was actually throwing the better part of 3 kilowatts at my four B2 cabs so it's not a surprise given the amount of use these speakers have seen over the past few years. Anyhow Andy has gone well out of his way to get me going again... just in time for an upcoming gig.

There's nothing better than a company that goes out of it's way to support customers and we know who you are!

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    RBI > Crest CA-6 > Acme B-4. My version of the "budget rig". Sounds great with minimal EQ tweaking.

Riis

16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The Aguilar GS410 fits all your criteria except maybe the weight (but its close). The thing is amazing, you can play a slap part in low-C in the notes all have impact and definition (this was with a stingray 5).

One side of your power amp would be plenty/overkill for any setting I can imagine. The thing is loud.

17. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Ok here is my reccomendation. Epifani 410UL. 59lb, or 25 kg for us metric minded, 1000 watts, sexy looks, THUNDEROUS bottom end if you want it to pump it out. I recently got mine out of necessity (well, kinda, my other cab died and i need something to handle my six string) and let me tell you, spacious, deffined tone that stays "airy" at stupidly high volumes. Not to mention it is a VERY efficient cabinet. In small clubs, when the bottom indicator lights on my power amp start to flash, i get told to turn down, and I am only using an 800 watt amp. So yeah, that's my suggestion.

Oh by the way, mine is a 4 ohm cab...

18. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
  19. My bad. I didn't mean to add the extra 4lbs. :D No matter what the weight, it will handle a Low B with ease, and make it sound beautiful!!

20. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    No prob...we just dropped the weight a little & most people don't know.

Translation; you're not bad, your good!

Mark
    AccuGroove.com