Low "B" Intonation Problems

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Spanky, Jul 23, 2004.

1. I have an Ibanez 5 string that I really love the feel and playability of...and I recently did a complete setup on it and found that I could not seem to bring the low B into correct intonation. I have the saddle moved all the way back, which brought it closer, but not near close enough...it also does not stay in tune very well...the strings are the original strings that came with the instrument...and Im wondering if perhaps a different gauge would correct this problem...Ive heard of folks using as low as a .135 low B to help correct string tension problems....
    Any input?

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Are you using taperwounds? Those tend to solve intonation problems.
  3. I had the same problem with my BTB405. I had heard so many possitive remarks about Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats, so I gave a set of TI's a try. I really like those strings and have left them on ever since. By the way, after I made the change to the TI's, I was able to correctly set the intonation.
  4. The strings that are on there now are not tapers...I've heard mixed reviews about those as well...Dont think Ive ever noticed the TI's, are they pretty easy to find? Also how about a heavier gauge for the B...? The other 4 are perfect and sound fine.
  5. One more question on the TI's...are they tapered?

6. By "Tapered", do you mean "Taperwound" as given in the link to the following definition of Fender Taperwound strings?

Or, do you mean do the TI's have tapered ends at the silk where they wrap around the tuning posts?

Anyway, the TI's are constructed using flatwound polished nickel wrapped over a round steel core. They do have tapered ends where they attach to the tuning posts. Well, they look to me to be tapered at the ends because the larger strings reduce in size at the silk, if that's what we're calling tapered ends. The word "tapered" is not used in any information I have regarding the description of the TI Jazz Flat strings.
  7. No, TI's are not tapered at the saddle position of the string.

Here's a diagram showing how strings are tapered over the saddle.

(see attachment)

8. Chalk one up for laziness. I did in fact mean "Taperwound".
    Thanks for all the input.
  9. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    How was it before you did the set up? Same strings as before too? If so it sounds like something you may have done, is it tight or flubby? Is the action too high?