low B med or light?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by skidog, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Any thoughts on which is better for five string? At the present time I am using a set of low-riders (DR). I was wondering what others have experienced that have used different gauges and brands. What is the tightest B string out there?
    Later; Skidog.
  2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've found that the heavier gauge strings sound tighter. I think it has to do with the higher tension.
    Although that's not the only variable that affects tone or tightness.
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I prefer a lighter gauge B than 130, but the sets I like best, all have 130 Bs and I can't be bothered to go through the hassle of matching and buying individual strings.

I tried some Thomastiks with a 118 B and it was great - fantastic sound and playability on the B, but the D and G in the set were too brittle- sounding and as I use these strings more often, I am more inclined to use a set that is better balanced, and sounds better overall.
  5. TI Powerbass, .119
  6. Well, I'm always using 130, which plays great.

But I still had a DR Hi-beams set, (40 60 80 100)
    This is what I'm planning to do: today I bought 1 Hi-beam DR string (125) I'm always tuned B E A D on my 4string ... that's 65 80 100 130 and now that's gonna be 60 80 100 125 .. I'm very curious how I will sound with these on, especially if you know I have never used DR Hi beams before. (Most people are very positive about DR Hi beams ..)

- Anyone played with 60 80 100 125 DR Hi beams ?
  7. I'm using a 120 Fodera stainless steel compressed round low B and like it a lot. It speaks with a much more defined pitch than my 130s and 125s did and it's still plenty low enough unless you're doing Hip Hop.

Fodera's strings are VERY stiff. No rubber band here. The light gauge set is fantastic for chording ease too. I think I'm gonna stick with them for some time to come on my soloing/chording bass anyway. It sure helps with my tendonitus flare ups too. Your bass must have pretty oomphy bassy pickups to make the light gauges sound "right" on the dance floor though.

I wouldn't go higher than a 125 for the instruments I own currently...the 130s were a bit muddier pitch wise. I find that if I pick back closer to the bridge on the low B string only, it gives the required punch for any situation.
  8. one3rd

Jul 10, 2002
    I don't like .130s because the fretted notes don't sound quite as clear. I would recommend .120-.125.

The 1/3
    No comment.