Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low B on 4 String?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 5bassman, Jun 10, 2005.

1. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    I'm looking at getting a Rob Allen Mouse 4 string. I'm use to a 5 string bass and was wondering about setting it up like a 5 String minus the top G string. I asked Rob about it and He thought it might work. He said he would give it a try this weekend. What do you think!

2. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    England
    Yes you can tune a 4 string BEAD

3. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    Depending on your particular setup, you may find the B string will not fit through the bridge. My Jazz copy has a Fender-style bridge, and the hole for the E string was too small for a B. I put a thin, round file into the chuck of my cordless drill and gently reamed it out - it worked perfectly. But be careful if you try this....a very small amount of material removed makes a big difference.

4. Check the hole in the tuner as well. I wasn't able to stick the end of the B string into the tuner spool hole. You could probably buy a tuner for a 5-string and replace your current E string tuner.

5. Atomic-Hedgehog

Atomic-Hedgehog

Dec 9, 2004
    you could always do what i did...
    which is tune the strings to B-E-A-D and raise the action a bit to compensate for the floppier strings... works brilliantly :)

6. Peter Steele from Type O Negative does that too. He uses normal (EADG) strings and tunes them down a fourth to BEAD, which is part of his signature tone. You may like the "loose" sound or not.. try it and see.

7. tried detuning to BEAD, but the floppy strings took away punch and speed a bit. Strung with heavier strings, it feels the same and plays the same to me.