1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low B on a 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iri5h_punk21, May 3, 2010.

1. So I really don't like the feel of a 5 string but I really want to be able to have access to that B. It would also be cool to use that Gibson Grabber body that I have.

Would it be possible to use the bottom 4 strings (BEAD) of a 5 string pack on a 4 string bass? or would there be an issue with scale length? I know I'd have to adjust the truss rod & intonation, but would the shorter scale length have a bad effect on the sound?

2. rewopnayr

rewopnayr

Apr 26, 2007
    marion
    it shouldnt. ive done that to a couple basses i use to have.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    BEAD should work on most basses. You will need to do a setup. BEAD is less tension on the neck than EADG is. In other words the G string has more thension than the B string.

4. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    Can be done! A new setup and recutting the nut slots will be in order to get it done right. If you want another (after the Grabber; very cool) and you can find a 35" scale 4 string (Spector, ESP, Peavey Cirrus) then that low B will really come alive.

good luck!

5. thanks guys!