1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

low b on a peavey t-40?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by manchildjr, Jun 12, 2012.

1. manchildjr

manchildjr

Jun 12, 2012
    Has anyone tried this? I'm wanting to use a 5 string set (minus the g) on my old t-40. Do you think it will work :help:

2. manchildjr

manchildjr

Jun 12, 2012
    Has anyone tried this? I'm wanting to use a 5 string set (minus the g) on my old t-40. Do you think it will work

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Probably. You'll need to get the right string though. For 34", you'll probably want at least a .135 gauge string in order to maintain the proper tension, to make the string sound and feel good.

4. manchildjr

manchildjr

Jun 12, 2012
    thanks i was thinking of using a .125 but i realized my nut is the only non original part on my bass

5. mech

mech

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    As far as the PUs go it'll work fine. I have two basses with T-40 PUs and B strings and they sound good. If yours has the die cast nut (silver), this is one case where I would make a new nut instead of modifying the stock nut. The die cast nut has a hard outer surface and is relatively soft on the inside and they are scarcer than hen's teeth, too.

You will have to enlarge the hole on the string through ferrule, through the body and in the bridge for the B string. The holes would need to be about 5/32" or a taste larger (depending on the gauge) to handle the ball end wrap. The top side of the bridge hole would need to be de-burred to keep from nicking the string.

And remember you'll need extra long scale.

mech

6. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Yup. See mech's advice, above.

7. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    I string both of my old Peaveys with low B strings. Sound great. Will need to widen the slot in the nut a little.

8. manchildjr

manchildjr

Jun 12, 2012
    Thanks for your help.
    Would it work without boring out the bridge. If my nut was the original i wouldn't even be considering this but since it isn't i'm going to try.

9. mech

mech

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Actually I don't know and I don't have a T-40 anymore but I've had to drill the hole for the B string on every 4 string BEAD conversion I've done that wasn't top loaded (over 20). If you have a friend that plays 5 string see if they have an old .130 B string you can have or borrow to try. The T-40s were shipped with .105 E strings. I know the hole in the ferrule is too small.

None of the things that will need to be done would keep you from going back to EADG.

The intonation will also need to change. All the saddles will need to move back about 1/8" to 3/16" so you need to see if the B string saddle can move back that far without getting in a bind with the string where it comes out of the body.

mech

10. manchildjr

manchildjr

Jun 12, 2012
    Thanks for all your help

11. permanent_ice

permanent_ice

Nov 22, 2011
    Moscow, RU
    I've played for 2 years on T-40 with low-B. It's good. I play stoner rock, doom - fits the mix very cool. Now I use a Rick 4003 it has better tones, but T-40 is also good.
    I used .120 B for that purpose. Thicker strings were not better, the bass lost some grind with them

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The t40 a friend had back when they where new did not have real good articulation for low bass. So it would diff be a bit muddy and bleh sounding wirth low B to me. Other T40's Ive heard had same issue. Not among the better articulating basses.