Low B on D'Addario Half Round set

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jun 3, 2003.

1. I'm thinking of going to groundwounds on my fretted FBB, because I prefer the feel for my right hand. I've tried Status groundwounds before and found the low B awfully flubby, so I threw the other four strings on my fretless FBB and have been happy ever since.

The only other brand of 5-string groundwounds out there, to the best of my knowledge, is D'Addario. How's the B string on these?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    There was a thread or two a while back about the Half-Rounds having crappy B-strings. I, too, would like to know if this has changed.
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Ken Smith Slick Rounds are available in a 5-string set. I've tried a 4-string set, they had a tight feel and, IMO, were quality strings. The groundround sound wasn't for me, so I never bought another set, but I did like them. Also, I have no experience with a Slick Round B-string.

Just thought I'd let you know they're out there...

4. I've had bad experiences with Smith low Bs as well. I think I might just go with a heavier-gauge Fodera roundwound (50-135).
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I had a 6 string set, and the low B was appallingly bad IMO. (The rest were really pretty good for my purposes.) However, I heard someone who had also had a bad experience with the low B say that when he bought a single groundwound D'Addario low B of the exact same gauge *separately*, it was much better. I don't know if this is common or, indeed, why it should be so at all, but there you go.
  6. I have them on my Godin. My B is pretty good actually, although I'd say I prefer the B on my D'Addario Chromes set on my G&L.
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's quite hard to answer the question "how good does D'Addario Halfwound B sound?" when the only thing you get out of your B-string is dead *thuck*. On the positive side, if you are to get Fodeira bass mute on your bass, you can buy the cheaper 4-string version.

I wouldn't take the chance with Half-rounds unless I could get some sort of guarantee from the sales guy that they'll replace the B if it sounds dead.
  8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    GHS makes a set of grounds. I've never tried the B, but I liked the E-C on them. They are called "Brite Flats".

I do have a 6 string set of Half-rounds I've been sitting on for a while. Now I'm scared to use them. ; I bet the B is thuddy as hell.

Be careful of D'Addarrio strings, though. Last time I used a set (their "long" scale), the silk ran over the nut on a 35" scale bass.
  9. I had a set on my fretless 5 a couple of months ago.

While the E-G were okay (nothing special, I thought) the B was the worst B I've used.

I sounded totally dead, was a lot quieter (even after adjustment) and wasn't any smoother than a roundwound.

The taper was totally wrong for my bass too, I dodn't know if that would have contributed to anything.
  10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I just had a set of D'Addario grounds on my SR5. E.A.D.G sounded great,like nicely broken in rounds. But the B was totally dead. I mean deader than dead. Stone cold dead.
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Another person with the same dang problem. Glad to know I wasn't crazy or unusually singled out by a malevolent fate when that happened to me. Jeez, you have to wonder if anybody at D'Addario actually testd or played that low B.
  12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I'm actually glad to hear other had the same problem and not just me. I was thinking of trying them again but noy anymore. When I took them out of the package the B string had a bend in it. So I thought it might have been that. But if others are having the same type of problem......