Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low B or High C

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, Aug 10, 2003.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Just wondering what you guys find the most useful because i'm not sure if I really want a 6er I might prefer a 5er.

Just out of interest also is their a do able tuning that allows you to have near 6 string like range with out having to change much on your bass.

Thanks guys

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Steve,

if you want that kind of range on a 5, you can go with C, G, D, A, E - that's a semitone above the low B on a 5, to a semitone below the high F on a 7! Tuning in fifths offers all kinds of options not available on a fourths tuning. I've experimented with it on four string before now, and had loads of fun.

If you're tuning the bass in fourths, one way to go is to get a high C, and then a hipshot, so you can at least go from low D to high C...

either way, it's all good.

have fun!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I think I remember reading that Matt Garrison tunes his 5 E A D G C and then has the detuner on the E which is tuned down to low B, thus getting the 6 string range. You might need to mix strings though and get a slightly heavier E than the rest of the set in order for it to work well when opened up.

Dave

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I quite fancy that tuning in fifths I want to get another 5 string when I go over to texas in the next couple of weeks I think the MTD Kingston Heir would be nice because of the zero fret I wouldn't need a new nut. Steve what string gauges did you use and what would you recommend for a none graphite bass.

Nearly finished my first solo bass song as well

Thanks in advance

5. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Steve,

I use Elites 45-105s. Nickel Rounds on my four string, and flats on my 6. On the 6, the B is a 125, and the high C is either 27 or 28...

I think if you want to tune a 5 string in 5ths, you'll have to find somewhere that does singles of 7 string sets - you C string should be a light gauge B, G should be a 'normal' A string, D a D string, A a heavy-ish 6 string high C and the E should be a seven-string high F... good luck finding those... ;) might be worth asking John Turner or one of the other 7/8/9 string guys where they get theirs...

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    ah so your one of these late night TBer's Thiers a place that www.bassguitarstings.us do sets of seven strings that arn't to expensive I think I'd get them and just use the other as spares we shall see is it not possible to use a guitar or baritone string since it's so high.

BTW new album mp3 sounds amazing can't wait

7. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I think the problem you'll have with guitar and baritone strings is the scale length... if you're looking at an MTD Heir, they are either 34 or 35 inch, so guitar strings are likely to come up very short. The 7 string set will work fine...

really glad you like the track from the new CD! Should be out end of Sept/beginning Oct...

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    It's going to be easier to do this tuning on a four string isn't it I had thought last night, If I get another five sting and tune one beadg and the other eadgc and then tune my Ric in fifths because of the graphite truss rods it would be better for all the different strains after being set up properly. Then just leave my jazz as eadg.

This would give me alot of options wouldn't it and would get rid of the floppy B on my peavey 5er

But it's so tempting to go out and buy a new 4 sting fretless just to tune in fifths so i'd have an even more cello like sound. hmmmm GAS ATTACK

Thanks for the advice

9. Hey TaySte_2000, buy my Dean Q6! It's a bargain: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1094489#post1094489. (Chance fo gratuitous plugging!). Seriously, it's a great beginner's 6 string, plays nicely and would allow you to check out whether you really want to go down that route without committing to big bucks.

I bought it a couple of years ago when I wanted to move into the world of chords and soloing and it has been a brilliant springboard.

I should say (more on topic) that I have restrung my Ovation Celebrity Deluxe 5 string EADGC. I found that the low B didn't cut it unplugged, and I liked having the C string more for those Jazzy moments. If you do go 5 string, I'd recommend EADGC with a hipshot giving you D or even B on the low side. From what you've posted earlier, it sounds like having an upper string might suit you more for your "exploratory" creative moments... :)

Seriously though, if you *are* interested in the Dean, drop me a PM. I'm sure we can sort something out.... :D By the way, Steve has played it and commented that he thought it was quite nice. ;) Right Steve?? :D

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You say more "options" but I would be worried that these are just "distractions" - distractions to doing things like practicing and developing your playing. I would feel like I was starting from scratch every time I picked up one of those differnetly tuned instruments - OK if that's how you want to feel , but I would rather feel confortable and that my instrument(s) is helping me achieve what I want to do, rather than putting new obstacles in my way?

I suppose it depends on how much time you have - for me, time is at a premium and so I want to concetrate on getting better as a musician rather than messing about with different permutations of gear - but if you have unlimited time and are already totaly confident about playing whatever you hear in your head on a bass (like Steve!)- then I can see it could act as a spur to ceativity.

But for me, I would see these tunings as distractions standing in the way of being able to play what I wanted in any situation.

11. I think you make a good point Bruce that time taken mastering the instrument is time well spent. However I guess that one needs to take time to find the setup that suits you best. If you like your 4 string upright and spend time getting to grips with it, and getting to know its subtleties then more power to your elbow. But if I haven't quite found what best suits me and helps me to play the kind of music I'm striving for then I'll need to take some time to try different things out. I suppose I just need to allow time to really get familiar with the instrument before changing on to something different.

I'm just now getting to know my 7 string bass. I initially found it quite unwieldy. But now I'm getting to know my way around it, it's opening up new avenues in what I would like to achieve - namely being able to play some little unaccompanied bass solos, or accompanying somebody else in a jazz guitar style. That's what has prompted me to retune my acoustic guitar.

Just my 2p worth... YMMV. :)

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've been through the same process many times - but when I have been unsure , I have stuck to one instrument at a time - serial monogomy!! :D

13. Sorry Bruce (you pedant! ;) ), I miscounted the strings in your avatar... Still, the same principle applies.

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I get your point Bruce but MKS hit the nail on the head there's always that little something more i need from my instruments. I've never really been happy with low B on my 5 string so I thought I migt as well try it with high c who knows it mightbe what i've always been looking for maybe not.

I want to try the tuning in 5ths because it seems like it would open up some possiblities and I quite like cello music so I fancy being able to play some.

Thanks for the advice