1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low B Query

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jamolah, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Jamolah

Jamolah

Apr 28, 2005
    UK, North East
    Hi TBers,

I'm wondering if anyone has some advice regarding low B strings. I'm currently using a 5 string D'addario set with a .130 low B on my Warwick Bolt On Thumb. The top 4 strings are no problem but the low B doesn't want to sit in the string cradle behind the bridge. I've had this problem before and have taken the less-than desirable action of literally hammering the string into place and then tightening, and although this seems to work I'd rather not risk damage any further.

Reading Gary Willis' "101 Bass Tips" book I noticed a few pictures of the low string on Gary's Ibanez. The E and B string seem to have a couple of inches of core portruding from the end of the string before the wrap begins. How does this work? How can I get it to happen on my Warwick? Should I use different strings or is this something I can do with my D'addarios?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks for reading,
    John P

2. Is the B on your bass tapered? I do believe Gary plays his own GHS signature strings that have a tapered B. That will allow the smaller part of the string to set down in the groove more. I may be wrong but I think Gary uses a .135 B string.

3. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2007
    NJ
    Hey Jam...

I talked to warwick about this. the warwick factory string set has a taper B string. any other B string won;t fit. warwicks answer to this was to pinch the B string with a pair of pliers to make it fit in the saddle. What i did was slot the saddle to fit a .130 string and f warwick... hope this helps

bill
    wjbulman@comcast.net

4. Azoore

Azoore

Sep 1, 2004
    Akron, OH
    You need to buy a tapered B string, file down the slot on the bridge, or use a pair of pliers to flatten the B string where it makes contact with the bridge. I think D'Addario tapered B strings are sold individually.

5. On my 'wick, I just pinch the end every time I put new strings on. Somewhere on Warwick's website I found a page that advises either this or filing out the bridge slot, as others have done, if you don't want to buy their strings.

6. Jamolah

Jamolah

Apr 28, 2005
    UK, North East
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll keep an eye out for a tapered low B.

Cheers,
    JP

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How lame is that? They make you jump through hoops just to use their product! LAME LAME LAME!

8. I wouldn't consider buying taperwound strings a hoop, but to each his own I guess.

Oddly enough though, I put a .135 B on my '07 corvette, and i had no problems. Idk if they fixed it, or if my bass is special (doubt it). I haven't had to do anything special.