Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low B string Sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tucker, Jul 7, 2002.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Yeah, I have a question. My B string is kind of muddy sounding. I have a Spector NS2000/5 neck through made in Korea. Its a great sounding bass bu he B string sounds muddy or too bassy.. It sounds the same when I have the EQ almost flat.. I dont like plain sound I like some clear low end and growl in my mids and glass-like highs. I have all them except the low end.. its to muddy and unclear.. If anyone can help me out with anything on the bass or amp or cabs. Anything woud be great.

:The amps I have are the following:
    -SWR Workingmans 210
    -Peavey BXBW 115
    and Peavey MKIII bass head

I want clear, defined, low end with the B string.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Low to medium budget basses often have a weak low B, e.g. Fender Jazz 5s.
    It sounds bassy/muddy, maybe the pickup(s) are too close to the B, try moving them.

You can also try using different strings - it may or may not help. Good luck.

3. and what are your EQ settings on the amp ? ;)

1x15" + 2x10" can sound reasonable if you use it properly.

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    IMO, its the 15. I use to have a weak sounding B out my Fender Jazz 5 (hardly though, JMX :p) with my SWR WorkingMans 15 with a SWR Goliath III. I got rid of them WorkingMan and got another Goliath III and TONS of punch!

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I had that same bass. I'm pretty sure it's the pickups.

But it's not technique. So it's off to basses.

6. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    What's the scale length of that axe? I have found that quite a few of the standard 34" scale basses have a "floppy" B string. Not very defined and tight sounding. This is one reason why the 35" and longer scale basses were developed. It does make a difference. Trying different amp/speaker combinations as suggested might help some, but I think it ultimately comes down to the scale issue.
    Dennis Miller voice on:
    "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
    Dennis Miller voice off.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    That bass has a 35" scale.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I highly recommend going with a string set with at least a 130 size B string. This seems to make a big difference. Try changing strings before changing pickups, it's cheaper. Going to 130s has tightened the B strings on both my fivers.

9. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Although I have not usedthem, I have heard that the LaBella Hard Rocking Bass Steel strings have one of the best sounding B strings.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They do have one of the better B's of any that I have played.

11. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    It's a lower line Bass. The Czech basses play much better and use the better DC EMG's. Just because you play a 15" in conjunction with tens doesn't always mean you'll have a muddy B. Although many a junky 15 has made a good bass sound bad. Really I think if getting a tight B string is you're goal you almost have to buy a bass with that in mind. Others here seem to be giving you good advice.

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    IME, exposed or tapered core B strings seem to be a bit more articulate than the regular variety.

If you are interested in experimenting with strings, I would suggest adding to your list of those to consider trying one of the Dean Markley SR2000 sets. I am new to them but have had nothing but excellent results from them.

Granted I am using them on a Q5, which tends to be really clear any way.

Chas

13. Perhaps it is just your speakers.

Listen to your bass through a good set of head phones connected to a Korg Pandora or other headphone preamp. This will show you the true sound of your bass, including the fundamentals that most commercial cabs cannot reproduce.