1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

low b strings in songs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by azeng808, Oct 30, 2005.

1. azeng808

azeng808

Dec 12, 2004
    can you guys give me some songs that actually sue the low B on the b string? And can any1 give me some tips on how to use that note smoothly in music and not make it sound forced into a song?

2. I *think* there is 1 song off of blood sugar sex magik that has a low B in it, but I could be mistaken...

3. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Funky monks. BSSM.

All of compression by billy sheehan bar the last song.

4. John Myung's use of the low B on the intro to Dream Theater's Change of Seasons is pretty cool :)

5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The entire Eryka Badu Live album.

6. Good call! Hell yes.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Check out some modern RnB/pop artists, Alicia Keys, Macy Gray, Lemar, that kind of stuff tends to use those really nice deep notes :) mmm!

8. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    What I do usually is accent with a low octave of a note I'm ending on, or do a walk down to the lower note (not necessarily a B all the time). Pulling a low B out of the blue would sound odd as you indicated, but combining it with a run of some sort or walking down on the B from higher notes will help integrate it into what you are playing.

Does that help?

Eric