Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

low b strings in songs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by azeng808, Oct 30, 2005.

1. azeng808

azeng808

Dec 12, 2004
    can you guys give me some songs that actually sue the low B on the b string? And can any1 give me some tips on how to use that note smoothly in music and not make it sound forced into a song?

2. I *think* there is 1 song off of blood sugar sex magik that has a low B in it, but I could be mistaken...

3. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Funky monks. BSSM.

All of compression by billy sheehan bar the last song.

4. John Myung's use of the low B on the intro to Dream Theater's Change of Seasons is pretty cool :)

5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The entire Eryka Badu Live album.

6. Good call! Hell yes.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Check out some modern RnB/pop artists, Alicia Keys, Macy Gray, Lemar, that kind of stuff tends to use those really nice deep notes :) mmm!

8. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    What I do usually is accent with a low octave of a note I'm ending on, or do a walk down to the lower note (not necessarily a B all the time). Pulling a low B out of the blue would sound odd as you indicated, but combining it with a run of some sort or walking down on the B from higher notes will help integrate it into what you are playing.

Does that help?

Eric