Low B2 Eden EA?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soundoholic, Feb 6, 2003.

1. what do you think about this rig idea? An EA iAMP-800. A Low b2 @4ohms. An Eden 210xlt @4ohms. I'm worried if i'll loose that great tone by getting 2 low b2s. But will 1000 watts be enough power to push 2 low b2s without distortion? Thanks.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You will not be able to hear the Acme, because the Eden is so much more efficient.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I agree with Embellisher...

At home, I'm running an 8 ohm homebuilt 2x10 (Celestion bass speakers from an Ampeg Isovent cab (I think)) and a 4 ohm B2.

I don't even know that the Acme is there and "theoretically" it's getting twice as much power as the 8 ohm cabinet.
  4. These 2 cabs are not compatable on the same mono amp. The B2 is going to need at least 4 times the power as the Eden to produce the same volume. Given the fact that they are both 4 ohms, they will both draw equal power therefore the Eden will around 12 db more volume. The only way this combination can work is with 2 mono amps or one stereo power-amp. This way you can balance the 2 cabs.
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    It all depends on how loud you play. 2 watts is enough to push two Low B-2s without distortion--if you don't want to play above a whisper! I've played in bands with 400 W and one B-2, but they weren't loud. No way would that rig cut a really loud band (e.g., hard rock or metal).
  6. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I tried a B2 under an EA VL210, both 8 ohm. With a Carvin DCM1000 bridged into both, the EA was quite a bit louder (as expected), so I abandoned that idea. With each cab on a separate channel, the volumes could be equalized by turning The EA side down. I like the sound, but...not enough power for either cab, IMO, with this arrangement. No doubt it would have been even better with more amp.

I also stacked the B2 on my old Peavey TNT 115 combo. This sounded much better than I expected, esp. when I put the EA on the other side of the drummer, and ran all three cabs. I'm still experimenting, and plan to add another B2. I think the pair of B2s will sound as good or better than my Peavey/Acme stack, and be MUCH more portable.

Your proposed arrangement will work, but will require some volume adjustment between cabs.

OOps, I just reread Graybeard's post, and I agree, a mono amp won't cut it.