Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low B's Anyone???

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by jokerjkny, Oct 20, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

just got my Eminence 5 EUB from (ALL HAIL) Bob. thx bob! just cant seem to put it down. almost as good as the real thing? ;) :p

bob had Gary from Eminence stick on a set of Helicore Nickel's on it, and was wondering, what other string sets people were using for their 5 string's.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Helicores are all wrapped with flat nickel, and are available in three gauges, in the following variants:
    Orchestral
    Hybrid
    Pizzicato
    According to Quinn Violins' catalog, the Orchestral and Hybrid (both medium gauge) have a low B available.

You can find low B's in several other brands; Spirocores, Jazzers (and almost all other Pirastro brands), some Super-Sensitives, etc.

I'm not sure this answers your question though.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Spiros on my popsicle stick bass. Sound great on there.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx guys!

well, if any to narrow it down, mostly doing pizz stuff for jazz and sensitive singer/songwriters, and would like something to give my sore wrist a bit of a break after a long day's coding.

5. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Please answer these questions:
    Is your Eminence 5 stringer equipped with a low B right now?
    If yes, what are the tailpiece-side silk colors of the Helicores you have on? (this will tell us which kind you have)
    You find them too stiff?
    Do you like the tone?
    What don't you like exactly?
    What are you looking for that you don't already have?

Thanks in advance.

6. Since i've been playing a 5 string double bass, i've been using Thomastik Spirocore/Ochestras.
    The scary part for me is the low B. I'm half afraid to say this because nobody will believe it. I think the low B on my Bohmann may be the B that was on it in 1978 when I bought the bass. Every time I attempt to change it, the new string sounds so bad, I take the new one off and put the old one back on!
    It WILL break eventually and i'll be stuck with a new one....until then????

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey francois,

but of course! its got a low B on it, and has what appears to be a greenish cloth wrap, with gold plating of some sort. strangely, the G has a blue cloth wrapping.

and yes, they're a little stiff. ideally, would like to get something very low tension. there's only so much you can do after a day of pure typing. :(

tonally, i dont like 'em too much. a little too much bite. i find myself completely lowering the treble on my amp. looking for something thumpier and bassier. the sustain is nice, tho.

and no, thank you in advance! :p

btw, i was told that its ok to mix & match different string guages on an upright. so i could hold onto the Helicore Low B, and get away with using another string set of another company, like say the Jargar Dolces.

is this true? i'm coming from the electric bass world, where this is a big no-no! why would it be ok on the upright?

8. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The gold-thread-on-green-silk ones are Hybrids.
    The gold-thread-on-blue-silk one is an Orchestral.
    I'm not sure what question you expected there!
    Yes you can match them, just be careful to get a balanced result.
    I'm not sure you'd like the Jargar Dolces.
    They're low tension but quite dark and without sustain.
    You could get a warm tone and low tension with other setups, which would provide a little more sustain, like Pirastro Flexocors in thin gauge.
    Pirastro Flatchromesteels (NOT the Originals though) are a good hybrid-type string, with clear tone, low tension and even better sustain.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx francois!

i was talking to Bob this evening, and he recommended a set of Pirastro Obligatos. he said, they're lower tensioned than the Helicores, and are relatively thumpier and darker sounding. just the way i'd like it. :cool:

but, how do the Flexcores or Flat Chrome Steels compare to the Obligatos? are they even lesser tensioned and darker sounding?

and how do i know i'm getting a balanced result with different strings? what's the general rule of thumb?

10. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    How do you know?
    Your ears!
    Rule of thumb?
    I don't know any!
    A little experience and some trial give you some insight.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I did this - so I stuck with the B string that came with my NS EUB and added a set of Pirastro Orchestrals - recommended to me!! ;)

I have been very pleased with how this works - I don't use the B string on my EUB much - although it's nice to have a low C,D or Eb available and the lower notes can sound awesome in moderation!

But the new strings sounded much better - much more like a real DB - darker, thumpier and slightly less sustain - especially noticable on on the G.

I find no problems with balance - but like you I would never do this on my 5-string BGs!

I think the point is that I use my B string on BG far more, to get a darker sound by playing up near the 12 fret - but I don't need to do this on EUB as with the right strings, I get the tone I'm looing for in 1st position - whereas, if I played the same fingering on BG it sounds too thin and twangy to me - except for solos!

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx a bunch guys!

i'm thinking of trying both the obligato's and flat chrome steels, and seeing which fits my needs better.

btw, i'm also thinking of just keeping the Helicore Hybrid Low B on there. its the only string that i do like. sounds tight, and feels ok since it is a rather large string. any thoughts?

bruce,

funny, but i was tempted to just getting a set of NS design D'Addario flatwound strings since they seemed more "electric bassist" friendly, but y'all woulda prolly ran me outta the DB forums. :eek: :D

13. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I think I'm already "persona no grata " around here - barely tolerated at best!! ;)

But I think you will notice a huge difference between the NS strings and real DB strings - especially the G string!!

So - the NS one sounds very much like fretless BG - but the DB strings sound so much more like the real thing - Francois has experimented with these things a lot and I took his advice that Orchestrals might not be the best for someone playing pizz on a real DB - but on an EUB they give you a far more authentic sound - if that's what you want?

Apart from that - The Pirastros I got just feel like a level up in quality. So as a BG player I am averse to using open strings, but with the Pirastros - open notes just sound so good, I want to include as many as possible! ;)

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, if anything, as soon as i saw your avatar, i kinda felt at ease amongst all these intimidating upright fellas. bad enough, Chris Fitz-General might come waltzing in, calling me his names! :eek: :p

besides anyone who can rangle in here of all places with an NS in their avatar has gotta be a true badass. :cool: :D

i'm pretty happy with the way the Eminence sounds. i love it actually! tho, after falling in love with an Azola solid body, the Eminence is definitely more me and what i as looking for.

but i'll pass on the news to Cpt. Scarlet on the "Other" side. he just scored a 5 string NS, and might wanna try the Orchestrals, too.

15. Bruce Lindfield

It looks good from photos I've seen and I've heard nothing but good reports - never seen one over here though and I'm not going to take a chance on shipping across the Atlantic!! ;)

I can only afford to buy basses on credit anyway! :(

But if any shops over here started selling them - I'd definitely be interested!

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

just got back from David Gage's shop where "Sprocket" helped me tease out the goodness locked away in the Pirastro Obligato's. their naturally thumpie, dark sound really gave my Eminence that kick it needed. its already rather brite and thin sounding. but, the Mr. Roboto Obligato's really brought out a thumpie smooth voice that sounds great thru my rig. you were right ALL HAIL Bob. :cool:

but Francois, i'm definitely gonna check out those thin guage Flexocor's. could use an even floppier, darker string. and if you recommend them, they must be good. :bassist:

also, do you think i could get away with still using my Helicore Hybrid? or do you think the Flexocor "B/C" 5th Medium would be a better "tension" match with the Flexocor Thin set?

btw, i'm now GAS'ed for a no-name Czech upright i noodled around on, while waiting for the string change. sheesh, that natural low end thump is toooooo addicting! :eek:

17. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Tension-wise, the Flexocor B/C medium would be a better match than the Helicore, IMHO.
    However I'm not sure about the tone you'd get.
    Probably next-to-none sustain, very dark tone.
    You *may* like that, but I can't predict it! :)
    The Jargar B dolce could be another alternative, with possibly a little more "growl" than the Flexocor B.