Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low budget amp for an AUB!!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by zzzzzze, Mar 17, 2002.

1. zzzzzze

zzzzzze

Mar 16, 2002
    I'm trying to get some info on what would be the best amp for my AUB considering my limited resources.

I've got a piezo pickup from SDSYSTEMS (www.sdsystems.com) and I was thinking of buying the Ampeg B115 combo, would this be a good choice?

Plus I live in Portugal (Europe) and as much as I try I cannot find most of the brands that are often mentioned on these forums.

Thanking you in advance.

José Lima

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    SLEEPY,

Welcome to Talkbass. I hear from a lot of folks overseas that the gear choices are often limited. About the Ampeg - I've not played that particular model, but to my ears, Ampeg amps tend to color the sound pretty intensely, which many consider bad for DB amplification. Also, I feel that 15" speakers are too slow to respond and muddy for clean DB amplification...I prefer 8" speakers, and many feel that 10" speakers are best for DB. YMMV, though...

One thing that might help is if you were to list those brands that ARE available where you live; it would be easier to help you choose an amp if we knew what the options were.

Good luck.

DURRL E. TEMPLE

3. zzzzzze

zzzzzze

Mar 16, 2002
    Thank you for the prompt reply.

I'm sending you the brands that are available here in portugal:

Ampeg
    SWR
    Roland
    Trace-elliot
    Gallien-krueger

As far as models are concerned, you dont normaly get the UB model. One of the reasons why it is so expensive to buy for ex: GK 115 here, is because you have to order it, and then wait 3 to 4 months and pay the transportation... and you don't get to test it! :)

So if you can give me just some insights on the models from the brands above that you've tested and felt 'content' I would be very happy.

I've been checking the models that have a sensitivity up to 1khz, what else should I look for?

Thanks again

Jose

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm sure you'll get more replies in the morning, but of all of those brands, the only one I'd consider would be SWR. I own a Baby Blue II (my backup DB amp at the moment) and have played both Workingman 10 and 12 models. Given the choice between the the 10 and 12, I'd choose the 10 - but then remember I tend to prefer smaller speakers for transparency. Both of the SWR amps are good solid DB amps, and fairly affordable (at least here). They might not have the kind of power you're used to for BG stuff, but they do fine for most small and medium gig situations. Also, I believe you can add an extension speaker for either if you need more sound before moving up to the next level.

P.S. - I also own a GK 400RB, and in my opinion, it's one of the worst DB amps I've ever heard (I used mine for BG, but I'll be selling it shortly). YMMV

5. LizzardTom

LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    Do you have access to Eden gear? I recently was looking for a small combo amp for EUB, and I finally chose the Eden Time Traveler 110. I tried The GK MB150E, sounded good just not enough power, and the Euphonic Audio IAMP, I did not like the sound of my Azola through it( and it was very heavy), the Ampeg B100R had too much coloration and sounded boxy. The Eden has a very smooth sound for my EUB and is very powerful and portable. I would have liked to have tried the Acoustic Image but there was none available to try, I hear they sound great and are very portable. So far, I'm happy with my choice. Good luck.

6. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    i use a gk mb150s with my db (realist pickup) and i'm happy enough. the 12" speaker has nice low end capability. it works best at low-medium volumes, of course, above which it starts to sound farty, and beyond that feeds back. the owner's manual makes it sound like more of a bass guitar amp (which i take to mean a generally brighter sound), but the four eq knobs allow substantial tweaking. it seems very durable, with the casing made entirely of metal. i hear they're a pain to work on, though ('alien krueger' it was called by one home repair guy i know), and that finding a repairman who can get through it isn't always easy, and though i've not had a problem with that in oregon, you may in portugal? for more volume (rock gigs) i use a second cabinet, which nearly doubles the output volume.

i haven't used any of their other models, or the others you listed.

smiles,
    sean p

7. MaxC85

MaxC85

Aug 22, 2001
    Michigan, USA
    Don't do it!!!! You'll spend more money on sending the thing to the damn repair shop than u paid for it. Eden gear sounds great but it's notorious for breaking.