Low budget Bass Recording, is Vox AmPlug IO any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kiwlm, Feb 1, 2017.

1. I have tried recording using my phone when playing through my 15W practice amp. I am wondering if a direct recording interface will sound any better.

There seems to be quite a few options, most of which are expensive, the cheapest way I find so far is this Vox AmPlug I/O. Anyone tried this?

2. Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Jun 14, 2014
    Midland, TX
    a phone is a lousy way to record anything except scratchpad memos...no plugin, adapters, etc, can change that.

3. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    If you really need cheap, then there are way cheaper headphone amps than the VOX--closer to $20 instead of $40. But I can't really speak to how well either would work for recording purposes. However, I would imagine that they would work, as long as you are not overly concerned with fidelity--just using it to capture ideas and so forth...

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yeah, phone recordings are generally terrible quality at best. I don't understand the folks that put up tons of phone videos. But, to each their own.
    Direct is almost certainly going to be better. You can even get a free DAW (Reaper, Audacity) and use the free plugins to tweak things nicely.

You can get something like this and be doing really well:
    Behringer Xenyx 502 Mixer

I have a bigger brother version of that I use with two condensors for my band to get rough recordings of rehearsals and writing sessions. But, you can also just plug straight in to it, then plug that into your computer and be set.

kiwlm likes this.
  5. Oh, I do have a macbook pro which I plan to use with the "interface".

The phone's mic is a lot better than the macbook's built in mic though.

6. Thanks for the recommendation! I saw that there's a even smaller 302 version as well.

I assume you are using the version with USB? Or is it possible to record into the computer with the non usb version?

7. I currently already own the Vox Amplug Bass! Which is very nice for practicing. However, I don't know how to record with it and monitor myself at the same time! Which is why I am looking at the Amplug IO.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yes, I use the USB version. If you don't, you'll need another device to hook up to your computer, so for simplicity just get the USB version. I don't know if the 302 has a USB version - if it does, great :).

In your DAW, you'll see the mixer as your input device, and use either your laptop speakers as the output, or use the output on the mixer to powered speakers for monitoring.

9. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    Well, it doesnn't get much cheaper than that! :D

I suppose you could get a 1/8" splitter, connect one to your headphones, and the other to a regular audio cable to send the other to your computers "line in"? I'm not a Mac user, so I don't know if Apple decided that Mac users need a "Line In", all I know is it is pretty standard fare on most other types of PCs...

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2022