Low C extension on a plywood

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by olps, Jan 25, 2003.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Do you think it's worth getting a low C extension put onto a plywood bass? I do plan on getting a better double bass, but not for a long time. Thanks.

2. It's a very rare plywood that can get a decent sound below E. If your bass has a really knock-out E string it might be worth trying, but 95 percent of time I would say no.

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Lots of my "Broadway" clients have put extensions on their good plys with fine results. In the pits, when the composer specifies a low C or D, that's what you have to play...Many players feel that the extension, with its extra string length, actually opens up the bottom end.

4. Apparently Arnold's clientele has much better quality plys than the ones I see here in the Midwest.

5. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Good points, I do spend alot of time palying in the pit.

6. Rod Sroufe

Rod Sroufe

Jan 31, 2015
    Van Wert, OH
    None
    Found this thread on my search on this topic. I've been considering having a C extension added to my King Moretone plywood bass. I've had 5ths tuning strings on it. While it handles the low C very well, the 43 inch string length and 5ths are REALLY challenging. Wondering if anyone put extensions on your plywood and are happy with the results?

7. A guy in my area has a c extension on his old Kay (1940s I think) I've always thought it sounded great. I've played his bass many times and it feels pretty good to me too.

8. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    There is a guy around here who has a blond ply with an extension. He sounds great on it.

9. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Duluth, MN
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    I did it. It worked great, and I didn't have to tke my A bass out for outdoor symphony gigs.

10. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Put plenty on plywood for schools and universities, many happy orchestra directors. Many of the plys with extensions sound great!