Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

low-C extension

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by olps, Feb 5, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    How much (Canadian or American) would a fingered (non-mechanic that is) low C extension run you? Also, how much does it coste to have the hole drilled into the scroll? and how often would you take of the extension? thanks alot.

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I charge $850 for a solid ebony extension. Some charge a little more, some a little less. The only reason to remove it would be if it does't fit your case.

3. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I'm interested in one of that type, that has a separate "capo" for each of the semitones. Does anyone on the list know who did the extension for Meyer?

Are there better ones of that type that are available?
    Thanks!

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
  5. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I agree the KC Strings extension looks like some pretty sophisticated engineering, and I've heard good things about it. But one advantage of the "multiple capo" approach would seem to be that, during a given piece, you can quickly and easily change the "nut" on your low string. I wonder if that's equally true with the KC Strings device?

Anyone out there who has used the KC machine and can comment?

6. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Mark Parsons (aka Old Saw) has a very nice multiple stop extension on his Kolstein. Any comments on its utility?

7. I love it. In the Gilbert and Sullivan gig I'm doing now two of the songs end in Eb. I slide the upper stop to Eb and when we hit the last note I crank on it and blow everyone in the pit away. As far as the extension is concerned, it is difficult to finger fast when moving from low C to EB but that could have something to do with my smaller hands. If I had hugh claws like Ludlam it would be easier.

BTW Tim, don't you have an extension on your wood bass?

8. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Mark, who made/installed your extension?

9. Barrie Kolstein installed it when I bought the bass.

10. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Yeah, I do have an extension, but no additional stops. You know what I find difficult is playing an "E" when the darn thing is open. It's just very awkward. It's much easier for me to get to the "D" and the subsequent half-steps.

Doggonit, Mark. I've meant to congratulate you on the G&S gig for several posts now. I finally had to go back and edit this post just to get it in.

So without further adieu,.....CONGRATULATIONS.