1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low C# tuning

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ssbass, May 5, 2010.

1. I have confused my self with low tunings. I have an audition coming up and they said they play in Low C# tuning. Would this be correct C#G#C#F#?

Thanks

2. Not sure what low C# tuning would be. The key of C# would include 7 sharps. All black keys on the piano. People that have trained themselves to play keyboard or piano tend to like the black keys, thus they play everything on the black keys, i.e. in the key of C#.

Now how that affects your tuning, I'd have to give that more thought. First why are they calling it LOW C#?

Is there a vocalist involved and is she/he using C#?

You are correct in that all notes are sharped when in the key of C#. Now how you handle that I'd have to look at their music before making a decision.

3. I'm assuming they are looking for a drop C# tuning, as you show...C#, G#, C#, F#

You may want to confirm if they are playing a Drop C#, or C# 'standard'.

If it's 'standard' it'll be C#, F#, B, E

JamWithEggs likes this.
  4. Klopp18

Klopp18

Dec 25, 2009
    New Hope, MN
    drop c is C G C F

5. Yeah they said it was drop C#. I just wanted to confirm that drop C# is C#,G#,C#,F#. Thanks

6. Bill Bohlen

Bill Bohlen

Mar 9, 2017
    BUMP. I'm normally a 5-string player, but my band is mostly in drop C# and drop D, so I'm looking to tune a 4-string to C# standard for that open string plus not too much change to my fingering. I haven't had any issues so far, but should I look at getting a different nut for this tuning?