1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

low cost and LOUD combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by your idol, Sep 30, 2013.

1. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    ok ive poured through the search function and ive found a ton of info on low cost amp options and im still lost.

-Id like a combo..I drive a Challenger, space is a factor
    -I would like to bring 400w or more to the table..I play punk mainly
    -Id like to keep it under $500.
    -i dont need frills, the less knobs the better i feel.

Thoughts?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Watts don't equal volume, it's all about the speaker(s). And, with that budget, shopping used gear will get you more than anything you could buy new. But, if you don't need a lot of volume, look at the TC Electronics BG250. 1x15 combo, 250 watts. I would think 400+ watts, and you'd need more spkr than a combo amp will give you.

3. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    A used GK MB210 or 212

4. milkman-27

milkman-27

Jul 4, 2009
    Fender Rumble 350. It's 350 watts not 400 but it is plenty loud. I keep one in my bands practice pad and against a drummer and two guitar players one with a peavey halfstack I never turn it up past 2, not 2:00, 2! Also sounds great for what we play.

5. Babaghanoush

Babaghanoush

Jan 21, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    For just a bit more $$$ you could get a GK212 combo. Very portable, great sound and you can add extension cabs later if necessary. It's by no means the only solution (I'm sure everyone will chime in with their personal favorite) but it's a very good one and IMO a great value.

6. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    The Red Head may be old school but you really plyy a gig with it. Eden Metro might work too

7. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Peavey Tour TKO 115 is the only one that meets your requirements new, but I'd rather have the Fender Rumble 350. 50 watts won't make much difference.

You can probably find something better used.

With $500 right now on the Dallas Fort Worth craigslist page I would buy that SVT-400T and Peavey 1810... $475 for the set.

8. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Offer this guy $400 for the Hartke head and cab.

Actually, this one looks more promising.

9. Babaghanoush

Babaghanoush

Jan 21, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Is there a max weight that you want to load in and out of your challenger? I got the impression that portability mattered.

10. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    He's gonna have a hell of a time trying to load a 90lb 410 cab into the back of his Challenger.

11. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Aw crap. Forgot about the combo spec... :scowl:

12. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Sorry to disappoint you, but the Rumble only outputs 150watts into its internal 8-Ohm speaker array.

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
  14. Used ashdown abm evo combos . Sound great ! I have an abm evo ii 500 210 combo and it gets loud !

15. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    The eternal rule of acquiring bass gear:

Good. Loud. Cheap.

You can only have two at the same time.

16. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    Agreed. I personally dont think anyone who still dosen't give these respect hasn't played one. Best combo value under 500 bucks.

17. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    It's people that think like this that buy Berhinger and wonder why the 400 watt Eden is louder than their 2000 watt B amp.

18. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Actually good and loud tend to go together simply because the better gear has better speakers.

In fact I find that I can buy used quality gear for less than new less quality gear.

I use an Eden WTX 264 for anything that involves leaving the house. As I recall it was in the 4 bean area. I keep an eye on the volume but this is an easy load.

19. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    But how Loud is it? Watts don't matter if it isn't loud enough

20. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Hartke makes some pretty decent combos in that price range. Economically, buying used separates would probably be the best bang for your buck. Get a used 410 or whatever, a used Crown XLS 1000 and a preamp pedal of your choice. Very high power system, that can be had under $500.00 used.